Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cheyswolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Partners Dilema
    I am a lesbian and have been involved with my partner now for almost two years. She has came out to everyone but her parents, even her 9 year old daughter. Everyone has been so accepting. The dilema is that I can not be her partner when we visit her parents for holiday events or birthdays. I have to shift gears and become her gay friend. This puts and extreme amount of stress on me to become something I am not and from a moral perspective I feel like her parents are being deceived since they think the world of me. She keeps putting the conversation off until something comes up and she is forced to deal with it. I have been more than supportive and patience but I just do not want to pretend to be her gay friend we are suppose to be in love and plan on buying a house together within the coming year. She has a beautiful engagement ring that I gave her but it comes off when its time to be around the parents. When is enough enough? I have even questioned her sexuality since she went from being bi to lesbian... Maybe I am over analyzing.
    fix-what-you-broke Posts: 305, Reputation: 61

May 23, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Sometimes people have to be honest.it is her life and even if her parents disagree with her being with you it will still be her life to live. What I am saying is she does not need their acceptance to be who she is, if they don't accept you as the one their daughter is in love with then that's too bad for them.
    To me it shouldn't matter if you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, if I was engaged and my pertner took his ring off around other people I would ask for it back as he obviously didn't want it in the first place, you guys are either engaged or you are not.
    Sit your partner down and have an open honest talk with her, let her know how this is making you feel, seriously after 2 years with you she should be able to tell her parents about you.. good luck
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 10:04 PM
    I don't know if there is a right answer to this so throw this out if you don't like it but I kind of think this has to be her decision when to tell her parents and not be forced on her.

I also wonder if her parents already know, if the 9 year knows, I would imagine that she has said something at some point as most 9 year olds don't hold secrets very well. Even if she never said anything, the fact that you come to holiday functions and are moving in together leads me to believe that they have an idea.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 24, 2007, 06:54 AM
    The way she handles her parents, is her business and not yours. I understand your feelings, but you must respect hers. Don't make a big deal of this, as its only for a limited time, and for a limited audience. Until she is ready, do nothing, and do not put the pressure on her either. Maybe you don't care about how her parents feel, but she does so, let her handle it her way, or stay home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Men Only: How many Partners is toomany for a woman? [ 18 Answers ]

My question is this: Men 1. Please tell whether you are single or married and your age 2. What is the number of sexual partners you start to think a woman is "slutty" ? In otherwords what number are you okay with, and what number do you start to think oh my... she's been around I wouldn't...

Both me and my ex have new partners and we want each other back! [ 3 Answers ]

This is very hard. About 4 months ago me and my g/f split up. 2 months later though we hadn't really totally gotten over eahtother we stopped contact and we both ended up in a relationship with other people. But she would talk to me on msn every now and then which was once a month.at this time we...

DBA and Domestic Partners [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My registered domestic partner and myself are starting a small business in California. We are trying to file our DBA paperwork - but we don't know how. There is no category for domestic partners - only husband and wife, co-partners, etc. Does anybody know how we should file? Thanks!

Dilema [ 6 Answers ]

I have very little contact with my bros. And sisters due to a fallout . Now the oldest bro. Calls me asking to help support my mom (78 yrs), who lives off soc. Sec. The thing is she lives w/ dad but their relationship is shot . They"re together out of necessity even though they don't...

View more questions Search