Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1st Pyramid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Reconfiguring a router?
    Can anyone help me figure out how to reconfigure a NetGear FS 608 v3? Our routers went down last week and when we were again able to access the internet, the IP addresses had all been changed. We are no longer able to communicate with our printer. I know the router needs to be reconfigured but I have no idea how to do it. Thanks for any advice you may have.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

May 23, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Often, routers are configured to provide a service called DHCP. This service provides information to computers as they are added to the network that they required in order to communicate with other devices on the network. One of the pieces of info provided is an IP address. The ip addresses are usually given out in the order that they are requested. A network should not be set up in such a way that it expects certain machines to have certain IP addresses if those IP addresses are provided by DHCP. The typical solution is to hard code the IP addresses of any machines which will require a consistent address and let the remaining machines use DHCP.

May 23, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Thanks. That makes sense and is something I'd figured should be done but how do I do it?
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

May 23, 2007, 08:01 AM
    you'll have to access the network configuration for the device. A simple Google search should provide enough info to help you setup a static IP address on a PC. For other devices, like printers, you'll have to refer to the manual or try to deduce the correct steps from any menus on the printer display.
    you'll also probably want to review the settings on your router. The router will have a base DHCP IP address which will be the IP address given to the first machine that requests one. This will be something like 192.168.1.10 . Then there will be a max number of DHCP IP addresses to give out. This will be set to something like 10. So this means that 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.20 could potentially be given as DHCP IP addresses. Set all of your static IP addresses outside this range. So for this example 192.168.1.100 would be a good address for your first static IP since it is outside the range of DHCP IP addresses.
    Also, in many cases, when you set a static IP address you'll have to give values for default gateway and dns server. Typically you can use the same IP address as the router's address. The router's address is typically going to be 192.168.1.1

Hope this helps! Keep asking questions if you need to.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2007, 08:11 AM
    While Asterisk's Man's info is correct, it refers to broadband routers on small or home networks. I couldn't find the model you cited, but I suspect, from your description that it is a more commercial grade device.

Its possible, that if everything else is now working, then you just need to reinstall your printers on each PC. I'm assuming these printers are all network printers attached to a print server.

May 23, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Thank you for all the answers. It is a commercial router but there are only 6 pc's on the network. I've tried reinstalling the printer but none of the systems seem to be able to find it. Asterick man, could you please give me step by step instructions on what you'd suggested. It sounds like what I'd found in my research but I'm very new to this and want to make sure I'm doing it right. I'd hate to wipe out my company's network completely!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Check, Share Files and Printers?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

Reconfigure netgear router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reconfigure my netgear WGR614v2 to use a different gateway address than 192.168.0.1 ?

Reconfigure bathroom plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to completely renovate my bathroom, and I want to create a better flow by moving the tub, toilet, and sink. How do I go about moving the plumbing to make my bathroom feel less blotchy and more cohesive.:confused:

Reconfigure a router [ 3 Answers ]

I recently lost the ability to connect my laptop to my network. Something happened to the main computer. I have been told that I need to reconfigure my router. I have a netgear router. I don't know the first thing about it. Help!

View more questions Search