Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pipercub Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Fill Sand vs. Paver Sand
    Is there a difference in "Fill Sand" vs. "Paver Sand"? When quoting prices for laying a patio, I'm finding that Paver sand is about 10 times the price. Will Fill sand be sufficient if packed well and laid thick enough?
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2012, 11:35 PM
    You want to use a sharp sand under the pavers so it can be screed and tamped down. Finer sand will wash away. You can buy it by the scoop at a Builder's Supply pretty inexpensively. I personally have used Deconstructed Granite, (DG), and it is around $20 a scoop.

Over the top of the pavers you would use Polymeric Sand which is a finer sand with a Polymer Additive, after pouring it over the pavers and sweeping it into all the joints and crevices, follow up with water and the Polymer will help seal the joints and cause them to hold together.
    Jae G Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 08:00 AM
    What type of patio are you having installed? Stone, pavers? What is your climate - does it freeze in the winter? And how large of gaps do you anticipate between the stones? Washed sand is a more expensive material, and many paver companies use this as a base. Depending on your climate and circumstances, a Bedding sand - which has some dirt in it - may actually work better and be far less expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sunken sand bottom [ 1 Answers ]

We had a 24' round pool installed less than a month ago. The ground was damp when it was installed, but was tamped down well and we were assured that the only problem we would have is footprints from the installer putting in the liner. A layer of a sand mixture was put down over the dirt. We...

Steel frame require having sand? [ 2 Answers ]

Do steel frame pools haft to have sand or can I use the padding I seen on the net you put under the liner and on the walls. I like to put a steel frame up but I'm renting and I don't think my landlord would like sand in the yard. He was OK with me putting a simple set pool up but it got slashed so...

Sand and salt [ 1 Answers ]

What may cause the % recovery of sand or salt to be greater than 100%?

Atoms in grain of sand [ 2 Answers ]

Estimate the number of atoms in a grain of sand. Assume the grain is a 0.25mm (on each side) cube and that average distance between atoms is 10^-10m. Please help me answer this question I have a lot of trouble solving it. Can u show the steps too. Thank you sooo much.

Morter vs Sand Mix [ 3 Answers ]

What's the difference between morter and sand mix? While I'm asking there is type N and Type S morter. My application is building a concrete shower curb and base, to eventually be tiled. Thanks

View more questions Search