Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nunidiego Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 06:48 AM
    CA State Tax and Community Property
    I resided in CA and owned a house (already sold) until 1995. I currently work overseas but intend to return to CA in the future. I have continued filing CA state tax as non-resident since 1997. I last visited CA in 2004.

I receive interest income from CA banks and other non-state banks. The bank accounts are owned jointly with my wife. Is this income community property ? Can I claim half of total interest income as my income and other half as my wife's income in my Federal tax ? I intend to file "married filing separate" status.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 23, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Mr. Diego:

I answered this question via email. It is listed below.

California IS a community property state, and since you have retained California residency, the bank income is considered community property. So, yes, you CAN split the money equally between the Married Filing Separately tax returns.

If that is her ONLY income, then she does NOT have to file.

However, it is likely BEST that you file JOINTLY to take full advantage of her personal exemption (to offset some of your income).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking Accounts in a community property state [ 2 Answers ]

Here is a question for you. I live in Washington state which is a community property state. My spouse has a checking account that I am not a signer on. I do not have an account and do not work, because I am a stay at home mom. We are leaning towards divorce, and he has complete control of the...

Community property [ 2 Answers ]

In a community property state is it illegal or just unenforceable for a wife to try to sale a property without the husband knowing?

Community Property when filing joint state return [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing CA state return and a little confused with Community Property Laws and when these apply. I am filing a joint return with my spouse and she is not CA resident (but I am) but lives in another community property state. Does it mean that 50% of her income is still CA taxable because of the...

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

Question on community property state [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, The state in question is Texas. My father and mothers name is on the house deed. Recently, my father died. The house passes to my mother I think. My father had some credit card debt. The creditors are saying that they can take the house? I thought that they couldn't take the house...

View more questions Search