Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flylihop Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 03:21 AM
    My Labrador puppy will get lost in my garden! :O
    Im getting a 7 week old Labrador puppy on Saturday, and I have been reading about house breaking! I read that you need to make sure your Labrador has a place to go pee - in your garden! I have a pretty large garden but there is only a grass section in the middle bit, which you can't see from the house - I am blocking off the pond so it can only get to the first 2 sections. Though I have lots and lots of plants in my garden and tree's, and so there are lots of ways my puppy could disappear behind them! There is a fence right round so she won't be able to escape, though I wanted to make a large play pen on the grass section as she's so small! But then if I need her to go wee, am I going to have to carry her to her pen? Or take her by a lead? Or let her run free :S?
    I'm a little confused
    Lol
    Xxx
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 05:56 AM
    I would question the ethics of a breeder who lets a lab puppy go at 7 weeks. Besides the point you should keep a pup of that age inside a little longer. She is still too young at 7 weeks to be exposed to any animal disease as well she will not understand potty concepts at such an age.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 01:25 PM
    I think the above post is totally wrong. 7-8 weeks is the ideal time for a puppy to go to its home. They are ready for new experiences and may never be comfortable with things they do not encounter before 12 weeks. They also learn very quickly at that time. It is true they go through a window between when the immunity passed on by the mother and when shots take effect when they are very vulnerable to disease. One sniff where a diseased dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can be fatal. Having your own garden with strays fenced out is much safer for your puppy. At first, getting out quickly when the puppy needs to is more important than restraining it. There will be times, such as when you catch it in the act, when you need to pick her up gently and carry her out and put her down. As I mention in the sticky, being out with it at first is very important. I seldom bother with the leash as long as we are in our fenced yard at home. It is important to introduce the leash at that age. It will be safer walking around you own garden with her on leash that places where there may be sick dogs.

I have many of the details you need in the sticky, see https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 The material includes both my training and my extensive, successful experience with 7 week old puppies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I Just Lost My Puppy to Parvo.Will My Adult Dog Get Sick? [ 26 Answers ]

On the morning of Friday Feb. 9th we noticed that our 8 1/2 month old Shih-Tzu had thrown up during the night. We took him to the Vet that morning around 11:00 am. The vet said that he probably just had an upset stomach and a little gas. She gave him a shot for the nausea and prescribed him some...

How long can I leave a new Labrador puppy home alone [ 14 Answers ]

I'm thinking of getting a Lab pup but I don't want to be cruel by leaving it on its own too much! I currently have exams so would be able to pop back home every 3-4 hours, and then after my exams and then after about 3 weeks, I will be home for a good 2 and a half months. Then I will be starting...

Is my labrador puppy sleeping too much? [ 3 Answers ]

Is my labrador puppy sleeping too much?

My puppy is ripping up my garden! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6 months old german shepherd puppy who has recently started ripping out plants from pots in our back yard. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways we can stop him doing this? Are there any toys that can be bought/built to keep him busy while we are at work and keep him out of our...

Puppy all of the sudden lost his vision [ 1 Answers ]

Came home from work "Harley" could not see a thing.  Was bumping into walls, etc. Seems disoriented. Can not afford a vet bill. Can someone help, please!

View more questions Search