Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kganesh70 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 02:38 AM
    Tea plantation
    What are the soil and climatic conditions suitable for growing tea?
    cazort Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2010, 09:06 AM
    The tea plant, Camellia sinensis, likes a tropical to warm subtropical climate. In the tropics, it can be grown at fairly high altitudes, whereas in colder areas (like the U.S.) it can only be grown at lower altitudes, as far north as Washington State and South Carolina. The plant has high water requirements; it grows naturally in areas with a wet summer / dry winter pattern of rainfall, but it can be grown in areas (like Washington state) with the opposite pattern.

The plant has very low nutrient requirements in its native habitat, and can even grow naturally on exposed rock faces where there are few nutrients. However, when the leaves are harvested for tea, its nutrient demands become much higher and it needs continual application of new soil, compost, or fertilizer.

You can read in more detail about which regions of different countries are most suitable for growing tea on this page about tea growing regions. I also wrote a blog post fairly recently about why the U.S. does not grow more tea, which discusses these climate issues in more depth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tea [ 1 Answers ]

IS FooJoy China Classic Tea the same as Wulong tea?

Coffee and tea [ 12 Answers ]

I'm trying to become healthy I'm eating a healthy balanced diet And I have also joined a gym I've cut down an alcohol and I'm trying to flush toxins out by drinking a lot of water Fi have 2 questions 1. is tea and coffee really bad for you? Is it best to cut it out completely or just cut...

Okinawan tea [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, does anyone know if you can drink this while pregnant?

Okinawan tea. [ 1 Answers ]

Does any one know were I can get okinawan tea in melbourne?

Tea/coffee [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just wanted to know some myths about coffee I want you to help me compare coffee with tea , since I have 2 to 3 cups Of either tea or coffee , or both (total) 1) I have a stammering problem , will consuming coffee increase it ? 2) does coffee cause acne , pimples 3) does coffee cause...

View more questions Search