Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ixc007 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Car Accident No Police Report
    Here is my story... back in 01/2006 I was in the middle of a 5 car pile up... anyhow... we didn't call the police to make the report... the guy took my drivers license info and my insurance... which was expired... we'll I let it go... about 1 year later I get a request from the company requesting payment of $1700 for the damages and they sent me pictures... come to find out the car I hit was a company car... it's been a year and 6 months and I received a letter from an attorney requesting for payment. The attorney isn't located in the same city as I am. So what steps should I take? There was no police report. Can they still get me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Yes, they can sue you. You saved 1000's of fines from police for accident and for the no insurance ticket and most likely a SR22 filing to prove you keep insurance.

So ask them for written estimates or bill from the repair, and send them a check.

May 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Geez that's hard... I don't have $1700... I guess I'm going to have to deal with these people... life can't get any better...
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

May 22, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Well, if your insurance is expired, I don't feel bad for you. I'm sorry, but it's people like you that make my rates go up. Insurance is the law, if you don't have it, stay off the road.

As for your question, yes they can sue you. I would contact them and seriously look into making payment arrangements. I would ask them for a written estimate of all repair work, and what is being done. I would "shop" another body shop and ask them what they would charge for the same repairs.

May 22, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Modular... I never asked for you to feel sorry for me... I post in here to get positive feedback... I don't take negativity we'll... because I'm a positive person...

It's best if you get more details before you judge a person. "and it's people like you...doesn't sound nice..."

Anyhow I've always had insurance... I have insurance now... it just so happened that my insurance had expired 7 days prior to the accident... we are all human. I'm sure you are too.
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

May 22, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ixc007
    Modular...I never asked for you to feel sorry for me...I post in here to get positive feedback...I don't take negativity we'll...because I'm a positive person...

It's best if you get more details before you judge a person. "and it's people like you...doesn't sound nice..."

Anyhow I've always had insurance...I have insurance now...it just so happened that my insurance had expired 7 days prior to the accident...we are all human. I'm sure you are too.
    Well, in addition to the comment that I made, I actually tried to answer your question with some advice. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to shop other body shops and get some quotes; that way you'll know if what the attorney is asking you is fair. I'd also do a Google search to see if it's an actual attorney that is contacting you, just to be on the safe side. I'm sure that if you explained to them that you intend to pay, but can't come up with $1700all at once, that they would at least try to work out a payment arrangement with you. On a positive note, at least it isn't $17,000 instead of $1700.

May 22, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Your right modular... I didn't think of looking up the attorney... I got a call today from them... I have a feeling that they are a Junk Debt Collector... but I'm not certain of it... I'm going to do some more research... and I agree I'm glad it's not $17k... thanks for the positive feedback...
    moix4 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 12:04 PM
    ixc007,

Everyone is ignoring an obvious question. You said that you were in the middle of a 5 car pile up. Just exactly what does that mean? Did you cause the damages to the car that is coming after you? If you were pushed into this car, then you do not have to pay anything. Please provide the specifics of how the accident occurred.

Mar 9, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moix4
    ixc007,

Everyone is ignoring an obvious question. You said that you were in the middle of a 5 car pile up. Just exactly what does that mean? Did you cause the damages to the car that is coming after you? If you were pushed into this car, then you do not have to pay anything. Please provide the specifics of how the accident occurred.

I was pushed into the car... I was car number 3 in the 5 car pile up... I didn't cause the accident...

Mar 14, 2008, 07:00 AM
    If you were pushed into the car in front of you then you can tell the other guy to go after the car who caused the accident. Just because your car hit the car in front of you does not make you liable for their damages; If you weren't struck by the car behind you, then you wouldn't have hit them.

Don't let them bully you into thinking otherwise.

Mar 14, 2008, 07:08 AM
    You know I never thought about that... I don't know if it's too late now... because I gave him my insurance information...

Mar 15, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Since your policy was expired, he is trying to shake you down for the money rather than go after the insurance company for the car that started the chain reaction. Have you been paid for your damages by the insurance carrier for the car that started the chain reaction? If you have, then you can pass on the carrier informatin to this attorney, even though he should know who to contact.

You do not have to pay him. If he files a lawsuit, then you have the right to bring in this car owner as an additional defendant into the lawsuit. This process is known as naming all tort feasors. The attorney will know that he needs to sue the correct party, but is coming after you because you are any easy target & he thinks he can scare you into paying for his client's damages. You do not need a lawyer to do this, although it is recommended.

Mar 16, 2008, 10:09 AM
    I haven't heard anything from anyone yet... but I will keep this information if they start proceeding... thank you for shedding some light with this information.

Mar 16, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident, not my fault, no police report, have driver info [ 3 Answers ]

A driver hit me while I was nannying with 3 kids in the car. She sobbed about her insurance being so high, and she will pay for the damage out of pocket. It has been 8 months now, and not a penny has been received. Luckily she has still been answering my calls. What rights do I have?

Car accident [ 4 Answers ]

I was in a car accident, it wasn't big the driver behind me rear ended me, there was no damage to my car or hers, and we did not exchange insurance or did not call police. We just exchanged phone numbers. But, now I want to know if she can go against me.

Collision, no police report [ 2 Answers ]

I was driving home on a wet road last night and suddenly lost traction and control of the car, but managed to swerve it and hit the side of the road and stop it. I busted the front right part of my car and the tire. Unfortunately, I was a minute from home and so shaken up that I didn't call the...

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

Auto accident with no witness or police report [ 2 Answers ]

I was parking my car at a busy gas station and hit a curb. The guy behind me said that I hit his car, but I said I didn't. None of the other customers witnessed anything, (it was full that day) and the police were not called. Am I liable for his "damages"?

View more questions Search