Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bebenscsc4life Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 01:09 PM
    I got my tongue pierced how long does it take to heal and what can I use to clean it?
    I got my tongue pierced how long does it take to heal and what can I use to clean it with and where can get the stuff I clean it with?:confused:
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Around 6-8 weeks to heal. I use Sea salt water. You can get the sea salt at any health foods store (whole foods, great harvest, etc.) DO NOT use listerine! It can cause discoloration and irritation of the piercing site. You should only eat soft food like mashed bananas, mashed potatoes, cereal, cold soup, applesauce or rice. Ramen is good. Ultra slim fasts are a great way to get the protein and vitamins you need. Rinse mouth out before and after every meal or drink.

When the tongue is fully healed you only need to rinse your mouth out in the morning and evening.

Don't touch the ring... it is normal for your piercing to swell a lot. It will go down in a few days.
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Jul 1, 2007, 02:30 PM
    I used non alcoholic Listerine from the store, I had no problems with it at all. They say it takes about a month to heal but I didn't have any problems with my after about a week. Just don't take it out with in that month because it will start growing up fast, I mean in a matter of minutes.
    Demi45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
    I changed my tongue ring after 2 weeks like twice and it never even closed up the tiniest bit.
    rhixxrhi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
    I really want my tongue pierced but I don't know one thing : What if you are getting braces would it effect them or .....??? :)
    sailorfury Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Generally a tongue piercing takes about 1-3 months to heal fully.

At most body piercing shops, after you get the piercing they give you an aftercare booklet that tells you what you should avoid and what it normal.

It also says that the two best things you should clean a tongue piercing with is yellow medicated Listerine and a salt water solution. But if you do use the yellow Listerine, you have to dilute it with water because the yellow Listerine is alcohol based.

I got mine done about a week and a half ago and I rinse my mouth with salt water before I brush my teeth every morning and night. Then I rinse my mouth with the Listerine every time I eat something or drink anything that is not water. And my healing process has been a breeze. So I definitely recommend cleaning your tongue with both yellow Listerine and the salt water rinse. :)
    sailorfury Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2013, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel View Post
    Around 6-8 weeks to heal. I use Sea salt water. You can get the sea salt at any health foods store (whole foods, great harvest, etc.) DO NOT use listerine! It can cause discoloration and irritation of the piercing site. You should only eat soft food like mashed bananas, mashed potatoes, cereal, cold soup, applesauce or rice. Ramen is good. Ultra slim fasts are a great way to get the protein and vitamins you need. Rinse mouth out before and after every meal or drink.

When the tongue is fully healed you only need to rinse your mouth out in the morning and evening.

Dont touch the ring...it is normal for your piercing to swell a lot. It will go down in a few days.

Actually when you go to a body piercing shop they give you an aftercare booklet that usually states in the second or third paragraph that you should be using the yellow medicated Listerine because it kills virtually 99% of the germs from food and drinks. And it's the best thing to rinse your mouth with when you eat or drink anything. And it's also recommended that you ONLY rinse your mouth with a salt water solution when you wake up and before you go to bed.

The only times you are allowed to touch the tongue bar is too tighten it.

Also, consuming anything with milk the first week of having the tongue piercing is not recommended by any professional piercer, because milk products can cause yeast infections in the tongue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I pierced my own bellybutton! [ 2 Answers ]

Last night I tired piercing my own belly button with out telling my parents. I decided not to keep it, so I am closing it up. The only thing is that I am worried about infections and that I will have to tell my parents if it gets ifnected. Is it normal for it to be a little painful today? Help! I...

I just got my tongue Pierced. [ 5 Answers ]

I just got my tongue pierced on the 15th and it doesn't hurt anymore. But today I discovered a bump in front of where the ring is and it was kind of transparent but then about an hour later the bump had turned yellowish and I don't know what it is or if its normal can somebody please let me know...

Warts on heal [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has 2 warts beside each other on his heel. What is the best way to get rid of these. He has recently tried Compound W... anything better out there? No idea where they came from - but present for the past few weeks.

How can I heal... [ 6 Answers ]

How can I heal my broken heart? My heart has been broken for the 5th time now. Every time I go out with someone then get feelings for him, he will dump me. How can I move on and find someone who won't hurt me? Should I still date?

How Long To Heal? [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it take to heal from a broken shoulder? How long does it take to recover from a collarbone fracture? Clavicle fractures should heal completely within 12 weeks, but the pain usually subsides within a few weeks. Often patients are back to full activities before 12 weeks has passed,...

View more questions Search