Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Burd Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

May 22, 2007, 04:57 AM
    Sensors for cars?
    Does any body know what a crank shaft sensor is?

Or a crank shaft fuel distrubutor is?
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 03:48 PM
    It's just that! It senses crankshaft revs. It's just a magnet that picks up pulses from a reluctor wheel on your crank end. Like unununununununuunun---ununununununun

It turns that into ac voltages and sends that to your cars computer then the computer counts them.
    Notice the space in the diag. That count is figured in with the camshaft sensor. Everything must be in time or things will stop.
    Kind of like this planet I'm on. Lol

May 23, 2007, 02:20 AM
    Do you know where you can buy one?
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Dealer only. What we working on? Maybe that's not the problem.

May 24, 2007, 12:55 AM
    It's a sensor for a car, volkswagen polo
    VWofAmerica Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 10:36 AM
    A crank sensor is a component used in an internal combustion engine to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft. This information is used by engine management systems to control ignition system timing and other engine parameters. Before electronic crank sensors were available, the distributor would have to be manually adjusted to a timing mark on the engine.
    The crank sensor can be used in combination with a similar camshaft position sensor to monitor the relationship between the pistons and valves in the engine, which is particularly important in engines with variable valve timing. It is also commonly the primary source for the measurement of engine speed in revolutions per minute.
    Crank sensors in engines usually consist of magnets and an inductive coil, or they may be based on magnetically triggered Hall effect semiconductor devices. Common mounting locations include the main crank pulley, the flywheel, and occasionally on the crankshaft itself. This sensor is the most important sensor in modern day engines. When it fails, there is a small chance the engine will start (engine will likely cut out after a few minutes of driving) but it mostly will not start.
    Tommy46 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 09:35 AM
    The post above me is a great one and you can buy a crank sensor most likely from any near auto parts store like NAPA. They may have to order one to fit your car. Dealers sometimes charge too much for them and any other store doesn't have top of the line. You don't want it to fail again so I recommend going to NAPA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dashboard sensors [ 1 Answers ]

My honda 1992 accord has battery, signal lights and clutch sensors working in my dashboard and the rest are not functioning. How do I fix this problem ? Some would say it the ECM bypass problem. Where can I find this and how do I fix it. Thanks Rico arcebal

Oxygen Sensors [ 1 Answers ]

This questions is related to oxygen sensors on cars-trucks- Does an oxygen sensor detect lack of oxygen underneath the carriage of a vehicle? Is it possible that an oxygen sensor will cause the engine light to turn on because it is working due to the manifold exhaust being cracked? Thanks

Vacancy Sensors [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Has anyone wired a Vancancy (or Occupancy) Sensor as 3-Way switches? I purchased a Watt Stopper Model CW-100 Occupancy sensor for a bathroom that is on a 3-way switch. The brochure says that they are not made for 3-way switching but I think it can be done. Thanks

Oxygen Sensors [ 6 Answers ]

I own a 2002 Nissan Maxima. I recently had a "service engine soon" light come on. The car has approx 49,000 miles on it. I purchased a OBDII diagnostic device which said I had a faulty O2 Sensor on "Bank 1, Sensor 2." There are 4 O2 sensors on this car. All have color coded shielding on the...

View more questions Search