Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kvn101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Mothers and Daughters
    Is it legal for a mother to leave her 15 year old daughter at home alone all weekend while she goes to her boyfriend's house? She leaves Friday night and usually doesn't come home until Sunday night. The mother is in her late 50's and her boyfriend is in his late 30's, and this is an almost every weekend thing where her mother leaves her. To top it all of the Boyfriend is a complete to the daughter and is extremely controlling over the mother. The mother always goes to the boyfriend for advice on parenting, and its almost as the boyfriend decides the daughers punishment. My question is it legal and just unmoral to leave the daughter home alone all weekend? or is it against the law? and if it is legal is there anything I can do or say to the mother to help the daughter or should I stay out of it completely?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 09:01 PM
    There really is not a "age" in which I it is legal or illegal, the muturity level of the 15 year old has a lot to do with it.
    The real thing is the "what if" if nothing happens, no one cares, if something goes wrong and police and children services get callled, then you have to basically prove that it was OK.
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

May 21, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Hummmm, this one is a toughy!

I do think it is legal to leave her alone for the wkend, but like you I feel that it is unmoral! The mother should be ashamed to ask someone else for parenting advice, well ask a new boyfriend! She is 50, she knows better.

But I don't know what you can do? Maybe you should just reach out to the girl. Offer her a place to stay or ask her over for dinner on the wkends? Just be a mentor to the young girl and hope and pray for the best!

Good Luck and God Loves You!
    Kvn101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Thank you.
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 21, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Why are you in their business? I think 15 year olds can have a lot of responsabiltiy and can be left alone by thereself. I know this one child star, he is young and is a singer but I can't remember his name he got HIS own house at age 15 and he looked 11! I was shocked but he had the money to do so. Anyway this may not be good parenting because you don't know what the child is doing alone, throwing parties, etc? But I have see a lot of parents that do this so there can't be any law that forbids it. Once in a while my inlaws will leave there 16 year old home for the weekend when they go out of town on business, vacation or what have you but they completely trust her to be alone. I think parents that worry about the child's saftety are extra cautious and do provide a sitter which is sometimes best but it is up to the parent and id there responsibility.
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

May 22, 2007, 11:19 AM
    There is no legally age at which a mother is able to leave her child at home legally.

It all has to do with the ones maturity and responsibitly.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Who are you to this woman? Are you an older sibling to the child being left at home? Or are you a concerned neighbor? Depending on that answer depends on if you should get involved.
    carherine Posts: 46, Reputation: 9

May 22, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Well some states a 15 year old can become their on person so there isn't any laws to forbid a mother leaving her child alone and the mother can make her on choses on how to raise her child
    EllieBrown Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

May 22, 2007, 07:36 PM
    My questions are the same as Tuscany's but also, is the girl okay with this? Does she talk about it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daughters welfare [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 17month old daughter and up until January 2007 the mother and I were very close. She is an alcoholic. I have reason to believe that she drinks to cope with some abuse that happened to her, this is a little sketchy though. I would have married her but I found it difficult to cope with...

Marrying a gril whose mothers surname is same as my mothers [ 4 Answers ]

I am jain, I love one girl from our caste ,her mothers family surname and my mothers family surname is same? Now I was was not knowng her until I met her , she is not related to me , yet everyone is sayng it will be like brother sister marriage! Also people talk about genetic problems due to...

Daughters addiction to OC [ 4 Answers ]

I just found out my daughter is addicted to oxycotin. At this point rehab is not an option. What should I do to help? Where should I start?

View more questions Search