Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andersonmr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 05:39 PM
    How to buy a house on back taxes
    I am wanting to put a tax lien on a house the house has been empty for about 3 years and they owe 3 years back taxes and I was wanting to pay the back taxes.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

May 21, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Putting a tax lien on a property can't be done by an individual, company, etc, it has to be done by the government that is owed the taxes at least in most US states. I think you meant to say that you want to pay the back taxes to hopefully become the lawful owner. If that's the case, then the government will announce a tax sale and you can then pay the taxes, then probably will have to wait a certain length of time to allow the owner to pay the back taxes, then you may become the lawful owner. You might want to check with the state, county, parrish that levied the taxes to see exactly how this can be accomplished in your state.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Yes, buying property at a tax sale is a interesting thing to do. Have you checked to see if the taxes are owed, ( you noted they owe 3 years back taxes) But after 3 years most likely the county will sell it at this years sale, ( unless a mortgage company or the owner pays the taxes prior to the sale) Also most states you buy a tax certificate which allows you to own the property after a certain period. This is called the tax redemption period. Some states don't have any, others have from one to three years after you buy the property that the formal owner can come and get it back. They are required to pay you the amount you paid, plus 10 percent interest. For example here in TN now there is a one year redemption period. When I was buying in AL they had a three year.

Normally the sale is at auction to the highest bidder, the bid starts with the back taxes and penalties. The property can sell for much more than the taxes at times. Also you will find that about 70 percent of the properties listed for sale will have their taxes paid prior to the actual sale.

So you need to ask the tax clerk when they have their sale in your county

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would you buy a house where someone was murdered/died? [ 21 Answers ]

I just am curious what everyone thinks, would you buy a house where someone died in it recently? How about a house where someone was murdered or committed suicide? My answers: I live in a house where someone died, but peacefully of old age... I would not buy a house where someone was murdered...

How do I buy out their half of our house? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you buy out their half of our house We are not married. We bought a house together. Now I want to buy out his half of the house. What do I have to do to get started?

Paying the Back Taxes on a house instead of buying it [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Tina from Missouri, My husband and I are looking to buy a house and I know there is a way that we can pay the back taxes on a house instead of the price they are selling it at. Where do I start, and what do I do. I have no clue where to look or who to talk to and if there are any...

Want to buy a house... [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are currently renting and looking to purchase a house. He is 29 and I am 25. Currently we are about 7 months pregnant and I have been out of work since September due to a quick move and lack of options in the condition that I am in. He is a high school teacher and gets paid...

Can I break my lease to buy a house? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to research online and I'm not getting anywhere. I live in Iowa, and my lease automatically renewed May 1 for another year because I didn't give 62 days notice. I unexpectedly was able to buy a house, which was not something I thought I would be able to do. Now my landlord is...

View more questions Search