Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bailee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Helpful hints
    I'm about to turn 16 in July. How old do you have to be in order to choose what person to live with ? Is there a law or something to help me ? I don't live with either parents I live with a gardian. Im not in foster care or any thing. PLEASE HELP ME:confused: :mad:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 11:03 PM
    It would be helpful to know where you live in order to give you a better answer to your question. It would also be helpful to know why you are living with a guardian.

For instance, if you live in the United States, here is one example of a law in New York State. The bold letters were added by me.

New York State

"Where there are children of the marriage residing in New York State and under the age of 18, a demand for custody is mandatory in divorce actions. After the age of 13 the child is allowed to choose which parent to stay with. Whether the parents are divorced or just separated one parent cannot demand the child stays between the parents. Where the children reside outside New York State custody may not be determined, except in some instances by stipulation. Custody may not be awarded to a person other than the father or mother, except under unusual circumstances which require a hearing. Children under the age of 21 must be supported by both parents to the extent that they are able to support the children under the provisions of the Child Support Standards Act.

See paternity for discussion of judicial recognition of filiation which may be necessary before custody or support may be determined."

You also might like to check out the information on the following site: Child custody laws in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    bailee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bailee
    I'm about to turn 16 in July. How old do you have to be in order to choose what person to live with ? Is there a law or something to help me ? I dont live with either parents I live with a gardian. Im not in foster care or any thing. PLEASE HELP ME:confused: :mad:
    This is going to be complicated , but I live with my guardian because my mom gave custody to my dad and later on my dad went to jail. When my dad went to jail he was engaged and he gave custody to her so we wouldn't go to foster care. They broke up and she still had custody of me and my brother. Me and my brother started doing drugs and she sent us to s childerens home . ( We lived in Arkansas at the time ) We stayed there for about two years and my brother got into some trouble and went some where else. A couple of months ago I came here to Kentucky and I am living at another children's home. My guardian won't take me back and I'm tired of being away from my family. It's been about 3 years since I have seen my sister, 1 year since I've seen my brother and 2 weeks ago was the 1st time in 3 yrs since I've seen my mom. My mom is off drugs and has a house. I'm not in foster care. My guardian just doesn't want me. There's no since of me still being in a childerens home , especially here in Kentucky when my family is in Arkansas and there straightened up.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 10:32 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about all the pain that you have been through.

Since custody matters are ultimately determined by a judge based upon what a youth and parents want to do, I would suggest speaking with your mother concerning what she wants to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need hints on how to clean up feces after backup [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone have any hints on how to clean up after a bad sewer backup? There is about 2-4 ins of waste and I gag when I try to shovel it out. How can I plug up my hose or make a mask so I can get thisdisgusting task done. I don't guess there is a service where I can pay someone to do this... is...

Something for the guys... helpful hints... [ 10 Answers ]

This is from a David Deangelo article - lots of guys who come here need this... IS HE RIGHT LADIES>>>>>> "You can't bore a woman into feeling attracted to you..." I realize that this may sound like an obvious statement, but judging by the emails that I get week in and week out, maybe...

Rust Stain in Sink- Hints? [ 5 Answers ]

I was out of town for a week, and my housesitter left a can of pet food in the white enameled kitchen sink. The rust ring it left is proving very difficult to remove. I used lots of scrubbing, and a product called "CLR" to almost no avail. The stain has lightened a bit, but is still there. ...

View more questions Search