mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Jimmy Carter-Bush worst in history
    Carter says comments were ‘careless’
    39th president had blasted Bush administration as ‘worst in history’
    NBC, MSNBC and news services
    Updated: 8:08 a.m. ET May 21, 2007
    Former President Jimmy Carter on Monday said his comments over the weekend about the Bush administration were "careless."

Carter was quoted Saturday as saying “I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history.”

The Georgia Democrat said Bush had overseen an “overt reversal of America’s basic values” as expressed by previous administrations, including that of his own farther, former President George H.W. Bush.

Interviewed on the TODAY Show about the comments, Carter said, "I they they were careless." He told NBC's Meredith Viera that he was answering a question about the foreign policy of former President Richard Nixon, as compared with that of the current administration. He said he wasn't comparing the Bush administration with all those through American history.

On Sunday, in a biting rebuke, the White House dismissed Carter as “increasingly irrelevant."

“I think it’s sad that President Carter’s reckless personal criticism is out there,” White House spokesman Tony Fratto responded Sunday from Crawford, where Bush spent the weekend.
    “I think it’s unfortunate,” Fratto said. “And I think he is proving to be increasingly irrelevant with these kinds of comments.”

Carter made the comments to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in a story that appeared in the newspaper’s Saturday editions.

Past critic
    Carter has been an outspoken critic of Bush, but the White House has largely refrained from attacking him in return. Sunday’s sharp response marks a departure from the deference that sitting presidents traditionally have shown their predecessors.

In the newspaper interview, Carter said Bush had taken a ”radical departure from all previous administration policies” with the Iraq war.

“We now have endorsed the concept of pre-emptive war where we go to war with another nation militarily, even though our own security is not directly threatened, if we want to change the regime there or if we fear that some time in the future our security might be endangered,” Carter said.

In a separate BBC interview, Carter also denounced the close relationship between Bush and outgoing British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

“Abominable. Loyal, blind, apparently subservient,” Carter said when asked how he would characterize Blair’s relationship with Bush.

“I think that the almost undeviating support by Great Britain for the ill-advised policies of President Bush in Iraq have been a major tragedy for the world,” Carter said.

Carter, who was president from 1977 to 1981 and won the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize for his charitable work, was an outspoken opponent of the invasion of Iraq before it was launched in 2003.

© 2007 MSNBC Interactive
    URL: Carter says comments were 'careless' - Politics - MSNBC.com
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 21, 2007, 05:43 AM
    In other words, if a former president strongly disagrees with a present president's policies it's better he not criticize them too severely because he will be called non-traditional, disrespectful, radical, reckless, and irrelevant and ultimately feel pressured into declaring his previous statements careless.

Maybe they should muzzle former presidents and put them on a leash.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Sorry if I don't see a question here?

But as many know I knew President Carter personally and was his body guard on several occasions when he came to Atlatna after 9/11. He is a wonderful man who is highly educated. But he did seem esp when not in a public meeting speak and say what is on his mind. But then one does not know if this was a off the cuff accidental saying, How many of you would like every word out of your mouth recorded and put in the press. Or perhaps something the policitical party uses him to release to attach Bush, esp now so that the people running for office can use it as fuel without having to say it thierself.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
    I don't really remember Carter but I would hate to think that there has been a worse administration than the present one!

They must have been really worrying times for you good citizens of the USA.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 21, 2007, 04:38 PM
    There has been worse Presidents than George Bush. Look at Harding or Fillmore or Grant.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Ole Jimmy Carter is a really nice fellow but you want to know what I remember most about his time in office? Waiting in a two mile line, trying to get gasoline for work and running out of gas, only to have them close the gas station because they ran out of gas. Don't let the good ole boy fool you, he belongs to the same exclusive club as the Bushes. He is of the same ilk.
    sonicendeavor Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

May 22, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Ole Jimmy Carter is a really nice fellow but you wanna know what I remember most about his time in office? Waiting in a two mile line, trying to get gasoline for work and running out of gas, only to have them close the gas station because they ran out of gas. Don't let the good ole boy fool you, he belongs to the same exclusive club as the Bushes. He is of the same ilk.
    Carter is in no way, shape, or form in the same "club" or "ilk" as Bush. Dubya is a spoiled rich kid who cruised through life on the strength of his family name and family fortune. The first President to enter the White House with a criminal record, a man who had his flying privileges in the National Guard revoked due to drug abuse, and overall a man who has led a life lacking in character and integrity. Carter was not a particularly good President, and made plenty of mistakes, but he has led his life with character and integrity, which puts him in a league George W. Bush will never reach.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 04:30 PM
    So, how long have you and ole Jimbo been personal friends?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 gmc jimmy eng light [ 4 Answers ]

Have a 97 gmc jimmy. Eng light on, code said mass air flow and or crank sensor. Changed both, still get same code. Going crazy . Any ideas on this one?

Overheating jimmy... [ 1 Answers ]

I own a '87 GMC Jimmy S15 and for the last few days it has been overheating and when I hit 35-40 mph it feels like it loses power and I can't accelerate past 45 mph. Someone told me it could be the water pump going out but then someone told me that water pumps don't just start to go out, they...

Bush: The WORST President in History? [ 67 Answers ]

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/profile/story/9961300/the_worst_president_in_history?rnd=1145910812680&has-player=true&version=6.0.8.1024 When Bush's lips are moving, he's lying to us, misleading us, or engaged in Orwellian doublespeak. The willfully blind citizens of this country play...

Jimmy [ 1 Answers ]

Can't use address bar

View more questions Search