Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    groundjordan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2005, 05:27 PM
    Finish Sanding Drywall Installation
    I have a small bathroom and a kitchen alcove I'm getting ready to slop compound on the drywall. Trying to save my arms and back- does anyone have a suggestion for using a small power sander? Type (vibration, belt), any tips, etc... Finish look will be slop and go, so the finish coat will just need to be smoothed over.
    Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 1, 2005, 06:01 PM
    Lacking the art of getting the mud on smoothly, I have a lot of experience sanding it, a lot. Forget the power sander. Just use coarse, 60 grit, paper, maybe a wood block and hand sand it. Once I go through a dozen apply, dry, sand cycles, it is good enough to roll a latex on and the sand scratches don't show.

Mud sands quickly with the coarse paper. Just hang in there until it is smooth. It is much easier to sand the mud smooth before painting it than after. Shine a bright light, the halogen shop lights work great, parallel to the wall. Any defects will show up. Put another coat on, let it dry, and sand.
    murley Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2005, 10:35 AM
    Sanding...
    I had someone tell me that you can use a wet sponge to smooth out the joints instead of sanding? Anyone else ever heard of that?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 3, 2005, 01:16 PM
    I have heard of it too, but never remember to try it. Well worth trying. Shouldn't make all the dust sanding does. Sometimes you can scrape the worst of it off with a sharp, stiff putty knife.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 8, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Let Me Tell You The Best Way To Save Your Back And Arms.
    Just Learn How To Slop Mudd.
    If Your Not Mudding Over Seams, Then Just Use A 12" Sheetrock Knife, Make A Pass Or 2 On The Area And Apply Pressure To One Side Of The Blade , What This Does Is Fan Out The Outer Edge Of The Mud, This Is Where The Bulk Of The Sanding Is Done.

And Just Say No To 60 Grit. Youll Sand Right Through To The Drywall And Burn Up The Sheetrock, If You Really Need That Type Grit, You Dont Need To Be Mudding, My Brother In Law Is This Way. Mudd Is A 3 Coat Process. Its Not How Much You Put On The First Time, Its Layers. Each Layer Fans Out 2 To 3 " Wider Than The Other.

As Far As Sanding Get You A Portable Sand (orbitial Only) No Belt. Hook Up To A Vac, With 150 Grit, Max No More Than That, Now If You Really Fanned It Out Nice You Can Go To 220 And Sand,
    Good Luck.

Also Try And Watch A How To Mudd Video, First, But Like Anything Else This Is Something You Have To Try A While Before You Get It Right, At First You Will Suck At It... yes You Will. We All Did. Practice And By The Time You Do A Whole Kitchen You Shouldn't Be To Bad,
    Knot Hole Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Aug 2, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Avoid sanding drywall... learn to use the knives... for small jobs a 3" & 6" knives should suffice... build up the wall finish... more applcations is better than all at once... 150 grit sandpaper is ample... in a smaller area just use a hand block and sand... very simple... the dust is the worst part...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall [ 6 Answers ]

My home is about 25 years old. Recently I've noticed that the drywall screws seem to be coming out. There's small bumps in the drywall where the screws are. In one room, the opposite is happening. Instead of bumps, I have small depressions around the screws. Is this situation serious and what...

Rusting drywall tools [ 2 Answers ]

Any thoughts on preventing rust on drywall knives? I wash the with a hose and dry them with a towel or, when available, let them sun dry. I also rub them with steel wool before use to remove whatever surface rust is visible. But after much use the bluing seems to have eroded away leaving bare...

Alternative to sanding drywall joints? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm gettin' pressured to put up another wall in my basement, and my wife says she saw on diynetwork (TV show) a guy showing that you can mud the seams as you normally would, then let it dry only 1-2 hours then come back with a wet blade and skim them... instead of sanding them: No sanding...

Why Is A Mask Imperative For Autobody Rust Sanding Work [ 5 Answers ]

I bought body filler and sand-paper to repair rust around the wheelwells of my 13 year old Eagle Summit Wagon.I would greatly appreciate some support on the following matter. My Son is going to try and repair the rust on my car. He has allergies, has nosebleeds very often (had one today) and also,...

How do I finish my drywall w/ mesh tape? [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a bunch of all-purpose,lightweight joint compound and some fiberglass mesh tape to finish my drywalls. Now, I've only been able to find how to use the regular tape with finishing drywall. How the HECK do I finish the drywall w/ mesh tape? Yes, I'm a complete newbie Appreciate any...

View more questions Search