Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommajen1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Eviction for a family of 3
    I currently live in Ringgold, VA. I have a girlfriend who is the mother of our 2 year old. Recently we both have become unemployed and are unable to make ends meet. I am torn between paying to keep the electric on or pay the rent. If I don't pay the rent how long will I have before I can be evicted. I have already had to have a extension on when the utilites are due and they have to be paid in full by the 6th of June. We already have food stamps and in VA... (now this is what I've concluded between 3 different people at social services... we get a different answer every time) If you take the TANIF UP program (which is emergency assistance) you are no longer eligible for food stamps for 6-12 months. I have a 2 year old you guys... PLEASE HELP... there are no ANY OLD JOBS here! Unemployment rate is in the high teens...
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 20, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Always pay the rent before you pay anything else. You need a roof over your family's heads. Contact the utility company and see if you can work out something with them where they let you make small payments every week.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2007, 07:34 PM
    A lot can depend on your rental or lease agreement, for my rentals, rent is due on the 1st and late by the 5th, so on the 6th if they don't pay they get a first notice, and would be getting my official notice to move on the 15th. But you may know what your landlord does.

You need to go talk also to your social worker in your area, at least here, they can help with emergancy rent sometimes if you meet certain requirements,a and also help sometimes with utilities.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 20, 2007, 08:53 PM
    It could take a month to two months to force you out by going to court. You should be seeking help such as food stamps and rent support from the county. Take any old job you can so that you can pay some rent money.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 05:59 AM
    mommajen1 disagrees: okay a roof is good but how am I going to see
    A roof is not "good". A roof is "necessary". Electricity is not as much of a necessity. Until you and your partner get jobs you'll have daylight and you can get candles.

If you pay the electricity instead of the rent you can count on the landlord filing for eviction. So you'll have electricity for another month or two. Then you'll have neither a roof nor electricity.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Ringgold looks like a one horse town and I am not surprised to hear that the unemployment rate is high, but if you go to Monster.com and search in Danville there are lots of opportunities. Monster - Search Jobs

I noticed there is a call center in Danville called the Danville Communication Center. As a former call center manager, I can tell you they are always on the look for reliable help. This time of year fast food is begging for help and although burger flipping may seem menial - all you have to do is show up on time and behave responsibly and use your good sense and you will be an assistant manager in no time.

Jobs are out there - they just may not give you the hours you want or weekends off or the holidays you prefer.

If you have to pick electricity or rent - rent comes first. What good is electricity going to do if you don't have a place? Also your local church and Goodwill organizations may be able to assist you.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Assuming your rent is due on the first and late on the fifth, your landlord can file for eviction on the 6th. You will receive a 5-day-pay-or-quit notice (probably the next day, the 6th) which gives you five days to pay your landlord in full. If you pay in that five days (by the 11th), he is required to accept your payment and can no longer proceed to court. If you come to him on day 6 with money, he is not required to accept payment. After the five days, he will file what is called an unlawful detainer and be assigned a court date, usually 3 to 4 weeks away. Could be sooner, if there is room on the docket. The court date will come, you will appear before a judge and more than likely, your landlord will win. An eviction will go on your record and it will be VERY DIFFICULT to rent in the future. At that point, the judge will grant possession to your landlord (sometimes immediate) which gives you AT MOST 10 days to get out. If you don't leave in that 10 days, the sheriff shows up and forces you out, your landlord moves all your stuff to the curb and the sheriff turns the property over. Then you will have no roof, no electricity, no water, no cable, NOTHING.

Pay your rent. You have a kid, the most important thing is having a place to sleep. You have to decide what is more important, lights or shelter. If you choose lights, well, you deserve to be evicted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family eviction [ 1 Answers ]

I need answers. My husband and I live with his mother. The trailer is his younger brothers. His younger brother gave the trailer to his mother and left it in his name. She pays all the bills every month. We pay for the food, and sometimes fixing things in the home. We have no written agreement with...

Family eviction [ 2 Answers ]

Do you need to submit an eviction to remove a family member from your home?

Eviction from Family Home [ 3 Answers ]

Father 89+, 80% blind, dimensia, alcoholic, 50% incapacitated has indicated he has attorney to evict me (and my Mom if she objects) from familay home. I have lived for over ten years, pay rent, utilitis, some food (which I do not partake in), care for house, yard. Mom does not want me out as she...

Family eviction [ 2 Answers ]

My brother & his wife live in a 2 flat owned by my mother, who also lives there. My brother & his wife are getting a divorce and his wife won't leave the apartment. They don't pay rent, they just contribute towards half of the property taxes (in Illinois). Can my mother just throw her out or...

Family eviction [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Oregon and have a 19 year old son, he does not work, parties and is just wasting his life. He steals and lies to me and I want him out of the house. What can I do?

View more questions Search