Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wr013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Removing father's name from birth certificate
    When my daughter was born the guy I was seeing at the time and the man that I thought was her father signed the birth certificate, shortly thereafter we have found out he is in fact not her father and I am wanting his name removed from the birth certificate and her last name changed. How do I go about doing this, he has not see this child since her birth nor has he had any type of financial obligation to her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2007, 04:18 PM
    You will need the DNA tests results showing he is not the father, although the court may order a new set if they require certain labs to do their testing.

Then if this is in the US, you would take it to court and ask for the judge to order a new birth certificate. Now in some US states, if you wait too long ( a number of years) they do not allow any change and would hold the listed father to be responsible. ( this is a very small amount of states that do this) So if he is not the real father it is important to file this quickly esp in some states.

Then of course not to be added, but you should also ask for DNA test of the man who should be, and file for child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding father's name to birth certificate [ 10 Answers ]

What's the process for adding a name to a birth certificate years after the child is born?

Birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

My situation is that when I was 18 years old I was told by a person that was a family friend that the lady who raised me was not my mother. He said he did not know who was my mother but he knew she was not my mother because she told him she was not my mother but did not go into detail. She denied...

Father's Name Is Not On The Child's Birth Certificate [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, if the father's name is not on the birth cerficate, does he have full rights of the child. If I decided to put child(s) in foster care,does he have to sign an agreement as well since his name is not on the birth certificate(s)? Thanks For responses

Birth Certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My son has had his new born baby ever since she was 1 week old and now she is 6 months and he wants his name on her birth certificate how does he go about doing this with out child support?

Getting father's name on the birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a daughter that was born in Japan on a military base (we are both US citizens). Her father lives in the states. He was not present at birth and the legal office here said he could not be on her official birth certificate since he wasn't here and we're not married. We have been trying to...

View more questions Search