Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foxfires3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 01:46 PM
    14.5hp briggs won't start unless jumped
    I have a 14.5hp Briggs mower that will only start if I start my truck and jump it off, it will not start the battery, not even the truck battery truck has to be running. I have changed the starter then the solinoid and still does it. Once it is started runs perfect and I have tested the battery and it shows 12 volts after I turn the mower off so it is recharging the battery just seems to need my trucks alternator to start. I thought it might be a wiring issue but I by passed everything and tried to jump of the starter alone and still did the same thing. What it is doing is cranking over once then stops you can turn the key off then on again and still cranks over once, even off the truck battery. If anybody knows what could be the problem let me know thanks Eric
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

May 20, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Save yourself some agony and follow the directions do not skip one because "you have already done it" humor me and you will see the light.

You will need a volt meter and set it to DC volts
    -Check the battery for 12.5 Volts
    -Check the cables attached to the battery for the same voltage checking for good connections
    -Attach the positive side of the volt meter to the + side of the battery and the negative side to the engine block, Still got 12 Volts? If not the ground from battery is bad.

-Now keep the ground on the negative side of battery
    -follow positive cable to the solenoid and hook volt meter on the cable going TO the starter coming from the opposite side of the solenoid.
    Turn key to "start" position you should have 12 + volts

YES-Check the same way on the starter motor where the cable FROM solenoid connects, If less or no voltage then cables or connections bad, If good voltage then starter is bad

NO- Take positive lead from volt meter to small wire going to solenoid and test for 12 Volts with key in the "start" position, If no voltage to small wire safety switch is telling it not to crank or ignition switch is bad (rare) If it does have voltage the solenoid needs replacing (common)

Hope it helps,
    .Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12.5 briggs and stratton won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I'm rebuilding the engine on my murray, it's a 12.5 horsepower power built. I have a brand new starter and the solonoid was replaced about a year ago, but it just clicks when I turn the key, if I hook up the starter and try and turn it over the solonoid clicks multiple times rapidly then won't...

Briggs and stratton mower won't start. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,can anyone help me,my neighbors cox stockman 13hp ride on won't start. I've replaced the solinoid, charged the battery and checked all the wiring,it still won't start,not even a click when I turn the key, my neighbor said it did turn over once yesterday then nothing,dead.I have also checked the...

16 HP Briggs and Stratton won't Start [ 11 Answers ]

I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the...

View more questions Search