Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katali Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 08:57 AM
    New roof or a patch job
    Hello, We had wind damage to our roof last week. But only a few shingles were blown off. The adjuster is due out next week. Since we live in the desert our roof shingles are starting to curl on the ends. I don't know how old the roof is since we bought the house 3 yrs ago. We are the only house left in our HOA with a old roof.
    I can tell its got two layers of roofing because who ever put the second roof on never put drip edge. Anyway, Was wondering if the insurance will only pay to have the shingles replaced or will there be a good chance we can get a new roof.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 04:11 PM
    You will be able to get shingles replaced. The roof one there now is older so do not expect the insurance company to foot the big bill for a new roof. The insurance company only has to make you whole and in this case it is just a few shingles. It might be better not to file a claim for such a small job since I am sure your rates will take a hike on your next bill.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 24, 2008, 06:04 PM
    hvac1000 is correct, also by the time they depriciate the old shingles you won't get much at all. If you do replace the roof on your own... MAKE Sure you call your agent so they can come verrify and take pictures. If you have a good agent they will give you all the options when they look at the roof. I always make sure the wife makes fresh cookies and coffee before the agent shows up... they are only human and everything goes better with fresh cookies. LOL
    Mike
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 08:57 AM
    I generally agree with both posters but I recently had a different personal experiemce I'd like to put out there. This does not mean either poster is off base, I just had a different experience. Last August a tornado came down our street, it snapped the entire top half of an old willow clean off. The tree flipped upside down and pitch forked itself into my neighbors roof. My insurance told me once the tree crossed the property line it wasn't mine any longer and I (they) have no exposure. Neighbors insurance adjuster looked at the 10 year old roof with five 1' diameter holes and paid for the structure repair and a new roof on this side of the house only, said they could not match the shingles. There was no insurance rate increase, insiders tell me each company has a formula that considers claims per year. If you are under their formula wire you are safe. If you have not had any claims on your home you may be safe to file a claim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Evra Patch Worries [ 1 Answers ]

Today I took my Evra patch off to replace it with another one but forgot and didn't put another patch on for 5 hours will this affect the effectiveness of the contraceptive

Patch or replace roof [ 4 Answers ]

Should I patch my roof or replace entire roof?

Security patch ? [ 1 Answers ]

What is a security patch and what is a patch manager? :)

View more questions Search