Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LorrieJones Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Probability in Pairs?
    Okay.. here is the question:

We have 8 pairs of white socks, 9 pairs of black socks and 11 pairs of blue socks in a box. What would be the minimum numberof schols we need to take out of the box to ensure we get a pair of the same color (you can not see what color you are picking out of box.

Answer - so far... so we have 16/46 white 18/46 black and 22/46 blue... would it be 16/46 + 15/45 for white?

That would just give me a fraction or a percentage... how would I figure the NUMBER of socks needed to pull out?

Thanks!

Lorrie
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 20, 2007, 01:27 AM
    You need the minimum number of socks to make sure you get a pair every single time. This doesn't seem to be a probability question, as I understand it You need to work out the worst case scenario.

So the worst case is that if on the first 3 tries you pull out one of each color sock, and then on the 4th try you pull out a color that makes a pair. So my answer would be 4, because by the 4th pull you would always have a pair of socks.

If I have misunderstood the question then please can you clarify a little?
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

May 20, 2007, 04:50 AM
    Not sure if I understand the question. If it is a trick question it would depend very much on the wording.
    If you have 8 pairs of white socks, 9 pairs of black socks and 11 pairs of blue socks pack in a box.
    Assuming they are packed in pairs. You would have to pull out one pair to ensure they match.
    So the answer would be two since you asked how many socks would have to be pulled out.

If the socks are put in individually I would agree with Capuchin.

If the socks were packed individually and you had to get a match for a specific colour you would have to pull out 41 for white, 39 for black and 35 for blue.

What is a schol?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

the probability that an adult was never married is 15%. In a random survey of 10 adults, what is the probability that at least 8 were married

Pairs of forces [ 4 Answers ]

I do not understand this. Newtons 3rd Law claims every force is met with another opposite and equal force. Why then when I punched a spackle wall it breaks?

Probability [ 3 Answers ]

Two numbers are selected from the integers 1 to 11 inclusive, repetition being allowed.Find the probability that, (a) Both are prime (b) Both are powers of 2 (c) One is a prime and the other is a power of 2

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

One Ivy League University has found that 40% of its students withdraw without completing the intro statistic course. Assume thst 15 students have registered for the course this semester, find the probability that a. three or fewer will withdraw b. exactly five will withdraw c. what is the means...

View more questions Search