Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

May 18, 2007, 10:30 PM
    Worrying a lot!
    I really think I'm going to worry myself sick about my puppy. I've ALWAYS got questions if you can't tell already! :p

She had her first visit to get groomed today. She looks great, I was really impressed. The trimming all of the hair by her paws and trimmed her toe nails... the problem is... she is STILL scratching her ears like crazy (I thought it was the bows they put in her hair so I took them out... but it wasn't) and she's also started chewing on her paws. Is it just because it's different and it feels weird?

ALSO (and this is what worries me) Since the hair around her eyes is finally trimmed... I can finnally see them. I noticed this afternoon the on the left half of her left eye its really red. It's not the whole eye... just the left helf where it's supposed to be white. What could this be? We have an appointment with the Vet next week to get her more shots but I am extremely worried about this and I'll probably do nothing but worry until then. Anyone know what it might be?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 05:57 AM
    I don't like the sound of the eye. If your vet is open today, you might call. Otherwise try to have next week's appointment moved up as soon as you can. In the meantime you might try a few drops of Visine.

Now that I have panicked you, I am going to tell you to calm down. Your emotions flow down the leash to the dog. If you are stressed and anxious, your dog will be too. Not only can you worry yourself sick, you can worry your dog sick. One of the clearest examples of this is my Aster. She had to retire as a dog guide at 10 years old because her partner was allowing her stress to upset Aster. Even though I have my problems, Aster is doing well 3 years later. The partners new dog is having the same stress related problems as Aster. Understand, we are friends, live nearby, and sit each others' dogs at times.

You have friends here that will answer your questions on your dog. Some of the others here have a better background in medical matters than I do. I hope they will answer soon.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Itchy ears and paws are often a sign of allergies. She could be allergic to something the groomers used, or she could be allergic to grass, pollen, etc. The eye doesn't sound good, so certainly have the vet check that out! It could be a popped blood vessel (like people get), so don't worry yourself too much, but have her check out anyway. If the itching is allergies, benadryl will help, but check with your vet for dosage.

May 19, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Thanks for the help. The Vet isn't open today but her eye does look like when I popped a blood vessel in my eye. I researched it on the net (at various sites) and it said if nothing it oozing from it, it's probably not an emeergency. I will definitely call the Vet Monday morning though.

May 21, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Just a little update for those who may have these problems in the future:

I took Callie to the Vet today. Her eye was fine, the redness was almost completely gone today and he said she most likely had an allergy to something the groomer used. (He also said it was great that I took her in immediately because most eye problems CAN be serious... so if your having THIS problem you should still probably take your pup in).

He said her ears still looked fine, no signs of infection or earmites... just a lot of hair and wax still in there. He gave me some earmite medicine just in case though (I think that was more for my sake than the dogs).

And she was chewing on her paw because she had something stuck between them. As much as I examine her, I missed that one!

In the end, he diagnosed Callie with "Overprotective Mother Syndrome". LOL, but I do feel much better by taking her.

Thanks for all your help again! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Worrying women's problems [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently waiting for a appointment to see a gyn. Doctor but it is taking a while and I'm getting more worried. I have very irregular periods (2 in 6months), constant period pain, tugging/pulling/stinging sensations in womb, re-occuring thrush, moodswings, tiredness, nausea, bloating and...

17 and having a lot of complications [ 12 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for a year now, I am 17 and he is 23. He gets along well with all of my family as well as I do his. Something that I have always wanted to do was get pregnant and start an early family. Although it has always been a very difficult task for me to accomplish, With my...

Hi, I need a lot of help [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Im new My period was due on dec 18. So I'm now 7 days late. I had implantation bleeding on the 11 of dec, which would be on track if I had gotten pregnant. My lmp was nov 20. I've done hpt some were positive, some were negative. This happened with my last pregnancy. So I'm not concerned...

Queens worrying behaviour [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I hope someone can put my mind at rest?? after searching the net I still am no wiser, my cat Angel has a litter of 5 kittens, they are 3weeks and 3 days old, she is a good mother, never far away from them and if one should squeak she's straight back there to see what's up, washes them and...

View more questions Search