Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Phone Companies
    Does anyone else in Canada on this board have Rogers home phone? When they called the other day they asked me to give my Social Insurance Number, has anyone else been asked this?

I didn't give it as I see no reason a phone company needs this but let me know. My thinking was maybe they want to stop people here illegally from getting a phone... cause that will stop illegal immigration and all...

And for anyone in the US, do you phone carriers ask for this?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
    It is against the privacy act in Canada to ask for SSN. I live in Ontario and point this out if I am asked for it on any application whatsoever.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 18, 2007, 02:01 PM
    I know this may seem like an odd question, but are you 100% sure it was you phone provider?
    This does sound like the start of ID theft to me.

Surely your name and address are enough information to identify you.
    Quite a few of the services in the UK now ask you to setup a password that is used to ID you if they call.

In the UK its all covered by the Data Protection Act 1998.
    There are certain things that you never be asked by a real company.
    These include PIN numbers, credit card security numbers, National Insurance number, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a 2nd phone line into a regular phone line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. A long time ago, I had a phone jack installed in my room to be used for a 2nd phone line. Well, we shut off the 2nd phone line, so now I have a phone jack in my room that is basically out of order. I'm trying to turn it into a regular phone jack. This jack has never been a regular wired phone...

How to record phone conversations from phone to PC? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there an inexpensive way to record phone conversations directly to PC using the earphone or headset jack port on the phone to either microphone line in port or USB port on PC? Does it also require special software? Here's what I want to do: My friend and I want to record our phone...

Stolen phone - am I stuck with phone charges? [ 3 Answers ]

My cell phone was stolen recently and the guy who stole it called all over the place, adding about $175 in phone charges to our phone bill. I reported it stolen to Qwest, but they say the charges are still my responsibility. I am planning to refute the bill, but I don't know the correct...

View more questions Search