Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yelo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Landlord not paying back security deposit
    Hi All. I have been renting a commercial building in Toronto, Ontario. Earlier in the year, my landlord sold the place with my lease to this new landlord. And last month, we have moved out since it's the end of term for our lease. I've paid all my rent and fulfill all my obligations. But this new landlord has not been cooperating and refused to return my security deposit. He said that there are parts in the building (they were there ever since I moved in 6 years ago) and even threatened to charge me for having to remove them. I'm very positive that I've cleaned out the place and returned it to the original condition as I moved in. Even my original landlord agreed that I have done a good job and return the place as is.

Please help me on how I can get my security deposit back. It's a few thousand bucks and the money is very important to me at the moment. I've figured that there's no way the new landlord would just kindly return my money because I've tried discussing with him many many times. I know I can take him through small claim. But my lawyer has been very busy and not returning my calls.

It is just very frustrating that there doesn't seems to be anything I can do except to take him to court and knowing that I may not even win. Can anyone tell me what is original condition defined as in law? If it means only leaving four walls, I will go in and take out everything! How can a landlord screw over a tenant like this? What protection is there for me?
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

May 18, 2007, 12:18 PM
    See if the previous landlord will write you a letter saying that he inspected the property before you moved in and inspected the property after you moved out and that in his opinion, the property is in the same condition. Then file a small claims case without the help of your attorney. It is what small claims court is all about. No attorney is necessary. Prior to your court date, subpoena the previous owner so that he has no choice but to show up in court (the subpoena is extremely important). It will be up to the new owner to somehow prove that the condition is different. Check with the court to see what the largest dollar amount of judgment is available in small claims court and be sure that it is enough to make going to court worthwhile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pa landlord tenant law - security deposit in escrow [ 6 Answers ]

My landlord didn't deposit my money in an escrow account? Does this waive him of charging me for damages? Can he get in trouble? He is claiming he is not returning my security deposit because I made lots of holes in the walls and had to repaint the house. I did make these holes, but why should I...

Landlord agrees to breaking Lease, now refusing to pay security deposit back [ 1 Answers ]

My Landlord told she'd never hold me to the lease if I ever wanted to move out. All I needed was to give a 30-day notice. Which is what I did and by the end of February I moved out. I have emails where my landlord agrees with breaking lease and further states that I'd be getting my security deposit...

Security deposit back [ 2 Answers ]

I had a six month lease for this apartment in Milwaukkee, Wisconsin gave 30 notice that I would be moving when lease expires to anthor state. I have been waiting over 30 day for a refund of my security deposit and nothing came. I talk to property manage said landlady was on vacition. I left...

Landlord kept a big chunk of security deposit. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I rented an apartment for 1 year. Recently when the owner returned the security deposit he made deductions for the following items: - Cleaning toilets and kitchen. - Getting pest control done even when there were cockroaches before we moved into the house. - Doing steam vaccuming in the...

Will I get my security deposit back? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend, a roommate and I started renting a home in February 2006. The house was a disaster but the landlords insisted we move in ASAP and the repairs would be completed within a couple of weeks. To make a long story short, the repairs were never done and our roommate decided to pack up and...

View more questions Search