Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Friday afternoon physics
    I have a typical cable reel, constructed of a central hub that the cable winds around and two end flanges of larger diameter. If I place the reel upright on its flanges on the floor, and unwind some of the cable in such a way that the cable comes off the underside of the hub towards me, and then pull on the cable, which way will the reel roll? That is, will it try to roll towards me (winding up the cable as I pull), or will it roll away from me (unwinding the cable)? Assume the friction between the floor and the flanges of the reel is sufficiently high to prevent the reel from just spinning in place.

I have found that about half the people get it right and half wrong. What do you think?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 11:57 AM
    I was trying to work out it coming from the overside, lol.

Definitely and obviously it rolls away.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Sheesh, I hope I get this one right!!

It rolls away
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Think it through again guys...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Heh of course, you get caught up into working out the direction of wheel spin and friction... itdoes roll towards you :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner ineffective in afternoon sun [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have an unusual problem. Most of the time my bedroom is cooled just firn. However, in the late afternoon, when the sun is directly beating down on that room, the air conditioner, even though it is working, does not cool the room - the heat shoots up, the room gets humid, and the air even...

Outdoor late afternoon wedding in FL [ 4 Answers ]

My friends are getting married outside in Florida at 4pm, and their web page has suggested that it is a formal occasion. I just had a baby and don't really want to have to buy something new that I will only be able to wear once. Unfortunately, I don't have anything "formal" that fits properly. ...

Air conditioner ineffective in afternoon sun [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have an unusual problem. Most of the time my bedroom is cooled just fine. However, in the late afternoon, when the sun is directly beating down on that room, the air conditioner, even though it is on and blowing air, does not cool the room - the heat shoots up, the room gets humid, and the...

Afternoon Antics of Bob & Bill [ 8 Answers ]

Just can't beat free entertainment.. .

View more questions Search