Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris 1340 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Debt Collection
    I am being asked to pay a debt that is 15 years old. In 1992 I supposedly asked for assistance from social assistance to get money while awaiting for unemployment insurance. I have received a letter form social assistance asking for over 3000.00 dollars. I spoke to the woman who sent me the letter and told her the debt is too old to collect on, she says there is no limitation on government debt. My question is, is this woman right, that there is no limitation on government debt and can social services collect this money from me even though they have not provided proof that I ever received any money form them. Any help with this would be appreciated (I don't have the money to pay even if I have to)
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 09:23 AM
    NO, they cannot take money from you without a court order a judgment. Statute of Limiatation is the law and the government is not exempt from that.

Speak to attorney in your area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt collection [ 3 Answers ]

Wondering if there was a time limit a business can collect on a debt. I received a bill from and urgent care facility from jan. 3, 2005. All this time thought insurance pd it. Now we don't even have the same insurance company they said it cannot be sent to secondary because primary did not respond...

Getting calls from debt collection [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys, sorry for being a stranger but I have been very, very busy. I have a quick question. I have been getting a call from a debt collection agency or so they say. When we pick up it is a recording. The number they tell us to call back is 877-712-1214. It is Mr. Alexander from I think MCO...

Collection debt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am wondering if I have a collection bill in the states but live in canada can I still travel in the states. I got screwed over there in California and feel ripped off but really want to still travel in the states . Thanks for any help

Debt collection [ 4 Answers ]

Howdy, 4 years ago I let a credit card charge off for $11,700. A law firm bought the debt and until last year I had paid it down to $6700. I just haven't had the money to pay them. I earned 28k last year and my YTD is 7k for this year. I just got a court summons. I assume my wages will be...

Debt collection [ 7 Answers ]

Does any one know if I'm responsible for my 20 year old sons dentist bill if he no longer lives with me but I had insurance on him till he quit school?Can a debt collector go after me? Because that what's happening but I don't think I should be responsible for my dead beat son any help? Thanks!

View more questions Search