Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WayTooMuch Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

May 18, 2007, 04:22 AM
    Statute of Limitations
    For credit cards (open-ended credit) Statute of Limitations (SoL), I know they expire in the range from 3 to 8 years depending on which state you live in. Here's my question, what state will the courts base the SoL on, the one you currently live in or the one where the credit card statements are going to.

For example, my credit statements goes to Michigan (6 years of SoL) and I currently live in South Carolina (3 years of SoL). If I get sued today, will the SC courts accept SoL from SC (where I currently live) or MI (where my billing statements are going to)?

Thanks!
    PurpleLagoon Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Sc
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Why do your statements go to Michigan??

If this is your home or billing address to the credit card companies, then this is all they know, so if they sue you, this will be where they sue you at, since they don't know you are in SC.
    WayTooMuch Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

May 18, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    If this is your home or billing address to the credit card companies, then this is all they know, so if they sue you, this will be where they sue you at, since they don't know you are in SC.
    Lets say they fill a suit thinking that I'm in Michigan and THEN later found out that I'm not in Michigan and THEN finds out that I'm in South Carolina... again the question is what state's law and SoL will I have on my side? SC or MI?

Anyone know with some level of certainty?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 10:45 AM
    You will be filed against in the court at the address they have in file.
    If you do not appear in court and contest that courts validity, they will win by defalut, since that is their address off record.

So they will get a judgeement by default, and you will have to then go back to court and prove why the judgement should be dismissed.

So they will go back MI as long as they believe you are living there, also if you are still doing business with them from that address, they will fight that, MI is your legal address no matter where you are living,
    ** if you are paying the bill, answering the mail from that address.
    IF is merely a old address, no long used by you to receive mail.
    But if you are still legally receiving your mail from them there, they will try ( and up to a judge) to determine if that meets legal requirements to have it tried under that state law.

So what you need to do, is notify them of your new legal address in SC and then they would have to serve you and go to court in the state you are living.

So if you will answer the questions, who is receiving your mail in MI, what was this address, how long have you been living in SC,

As long as they believe you live in MI, they will get a judgement there unless you inform them, or appear in the court to object.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations [ 6 Answers ]

Hi: I used to live in Canada. I left my husband as he was an alcoholic and he maxed out our joint credit cards. He passed away in July 1999. I haven't been in Canada since October 2000. I remarried and now live in the US. Is it safe to say that the Stature of Limitations has run out on...

Statute of Limitations? [ 10 Answers ]

In the Summer of 1972 I worked as a waitress at one of the local cafes. There were 10 employees who worked there during that time. All was well until the beginning of November when we did not receive a paycheck. The owner said he had some rough spots but we would be paid. He said that in...

Statute of Limitations [ 1 Answers ]

What are the statute of limitations for Manitoba, Canada?

Statute of Limitations [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I had a car loan in New Jersey, I lost my job and came to Ontario. I couldn't pay the payments after I came to Canada. I had the car parked in NJ, I asked the bank to repossess it. They sold it for less. Now they are after me for the money. I want to pay them in full, but in monthly payments,...

Statute of limitations [ 6 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations after taking chapter seven bankruptcy in the state of Illinois, for a second mortgage to be null if I have reafirmed on the 1st. Mortgage? I went bankrupt in 2001 I reafirmed on the initial mortgage and not on the 2nd. Can I ever sell the property without paying...

View more questions Search