Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

May 18, 2007, 03:24 AM
    New toilet leaks around base
    I just finished replacing the floor in a bathroom with tile (previously was vinyl). I added a flange extension to the toilet flange to raise it due to the higher floor height of the tile.\

I have set a brand new toilet twice now and both time it has leaked around the base. When I pull the toilet it appears the wax ring should have worked. I can't find anywhere the leak could be coming from. I've tried both a 1/4" and 1/2" flange extension and have used the larger wax ring both times.

Could the toilet possibly be bad? How can I tell?

Thanks in advance!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 18, 2007, 12:40 PM
    It doesn't rock does it? Purchase a wax ring with a attached funnel and see if that doesn't stop the leak. Good luck. Tom
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

May 19, 2007, 07:55 PM
    I picked up a wax-less seal device along with a wax ring this morning to try and tackle this problem. I removed all the wax and the extension flange. I then installed the waxless seal and set the toilet. It leaked again around the base. I pulled the toilet and realized that the water was only near the front of the toilet and no where near the closet flange. Looking up into the frame of the toilet with a flashlight I could see cracks along the bowl rim. There appeared to be some sort of hardened sealant in that area too, as if the manufacturer had tried to mend some leaks.

Anyway, I took the toilet back and got a replacement which worked great with no leaks. An odd side note too is that the "bad" toilet would rock a bit on the floor while the replacement "good" toilet didn't. That first bowl was obviously defective. I hope this information helps someone else and maybe save them $10 worth of wax gaskets :)
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Put food coloring in the tank to verify no leak under the bowl in the china.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet leaks at handle [ 5 Answers ]

I have the same problem as this guy: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/toilet-leaks-handle-14062.html Can anyone care to help an extreme novice at fixing this?

Toilet leaks [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. My tenant just phoned to say that the handle of the flush leaks when it is flushed. She also is noticing water around the base of the toilet. Just checking in to see what I should look for when I go over and what some possible solutions might be? Many thanks, JD

Shower leaks when toilet is flushed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Recently, when I flushed my toilet, the shower will leaks for a duration of time when the toilet tank is filling up. The leaks stop after the tank is filled. It is more severe at night than during day time. Do you know what might be causing it? Thank you. Wyne L.

Toilet leaks at handle [ 9 Answers ]

Help, the tank fills up too much, all the way to the handle! And then starts drip drip dripping outside the handle connection into a bucket! But I notice that when the toilet is used a lot (flushed) it does not doing it as often, I guess because it takes a while for the tank to fill up to the top...

Changed the Flip, but toilet still leaks [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the flaps in my toilet 3 times and the toilet still leaks, giving me the phantom-flush. What am I missing? :confused:

View more questions Search