Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2005, 06:57 PM
    Lawn Chief not running
    :( I found out the mower is a Lawn Chief. But it will not run for very long. The carburator has new parts, the transmission is fine, but when it is started it will quit as soon as it is put in the run or idle position. Think it may be the motor, but any ideas on what part?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2005, 07:22 PM
    Very well the carb is not set right, 2 adjusting screws, one for idle, one for high speed, both turned all the way in, then backed out 1.5 turns to get it going enough to tune further, also the needles themselves may be worn out, but you never gave engine brand, nor horse power rating so it could very well be a diapragm carb. And the diapragm is worn out or folded. Its not the engine! I see many thrown away because people thought it was the engine, when it very well turned out to be a cheap part, or a misadjustment or dirty carb, hense also, was the carb cleaned out good, and I mean every tiny hole, if it's a float carb, most of the time the inlet needle gets stuck or is worn out, or the main jet right under where the float bowl nut goes into is clogged.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2005, 07:39 PM
    Check the governor. The carburetor screws should still be where they should be unless an unskilled person turned them. The governor actually adjusts the butterfly in the carburetor. Often they were just a metal plate in the air stream of the fins in the flywheel. It may have frozen up over time as it sat around. The plate needs to spring back and open the throttle as the speed drops under a greater load. Without more gas, the engine will die.
    maus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2005, 06:49 PM
    How to find out the HP etc
    My father changed the diaphram and gaskets. It seems that the carb might be warped and the vacuum is broken. How can I find a new carb and tank for this thing?? There are no markings other than model and serial #s. I really like it and don't really want to have to trash it. :o
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 1, 2005, 06:56 PM
    Forget Lawn Chief. The Briggs and Stratton engines are very common. Most small engine parts suppliers should be able to work from the engine model and serial number. The first one you talk to, may not be interested. Try the small, independent shops. You might try to find B&S parts on the net.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2005, 09:50 PM
    As for the carb, you can upgrade to new, and find a used newer tank

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn Chief riding mower [ 6 Answers ]

Two wires got disconnected from our riding lawnmower. I need to know where the 2 red wires are supposed to go. The longer red wire is hooked to the key or kill switch and the shorter red wire is hooked to the solenoid. I think the shorter wire is for ground. The mfg. # is 0048 and the model # is...

6.5 hp lawn boy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6.5 hp lawn boy that just stopped igniting spark. I used it last week with no troubles and now I have no spark. I have checked the "kill" switch circuit, and it is working properly, what next?

Lawn chief 12/39 [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a lawn chief 12/39 used.The problem I am having is it starts very hard and I usually have to jump start it.When I do get it started.I can drive around all day without problems and it can also sit idle with the mower running but when both are engaged it stalls.It has a 12hp briggs engine in...

Lawn Chief 11hp B & S [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I got a Lawn Chief Brigg and stration 11hp And the lights don't have any wire connecting to them so they don't work. Any idea where the wires come from so they will work? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search