Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Dying norfolk pine.
    I have a norfolk pine that is becoming brittle and is dying? Any suggestions on saving it?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 17, 2007, 06:22 PM
    A norfolk pine is an indoor plant. You don't say where you have it. If it is indoors then it needs a bigger container, but probably too late now. If it is outdoors, it is a climate thing and not supposed to be there.
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 04:12 PM
    If the pine is becoming brittle, and dropping needles, then it is already too late to save it, but if you want to invest in a bigger pot and try then go ahead. It all depends on how much you have invested. I am a good gardener but have never had any luck with indoor pines. One never knows how much water they need in the container to sustain it, and what kind of fertilizer to use. I have tried many different variations of my own concoctions and not had any luck. Pines outdoors seek their own nourishment and water and widespread roots to do this.
    Beachghost Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 01:20 AM
    How 'bout a little positivity? If this was your pine, what would you do?
    Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachghost View Post
    How 'bout a little positivity? If this was your pine, what would you do??
    I think in my last post I was about as positive as I could be. Are you a gardener, beachghost? Its like I said, indoor pines are fragile, it isn't their environment. They are hardier in their own seasonal changes. Now if you were a pine, wouldn't you be confused if you were indoors 24/7 ?

Anyway, Beach, this thread is already two years old and the OP hasn't been back since 2007.

Tick
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2009, 05:46 AM

Oh wow, this post has been brought from the dead. But not my pine! Sadly, it passed ;)
    Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rankrank55 View Post
    Oh wow, this post has been brought from the dead. But not my pine! Sadly, it passed ;)
    LOL, hope you gave the poor thing a decent burial !

Tick
    tfrimet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2012, 01:22 PM
    Sorry your plant died. This post is for those that are coming along recently - 1/2012. Don't disturb the roots by repotting as the shock will kill your plant. Don't overwater. Don't underwater. Place potted plant over a larger container with shallow sides - fill the shallow container with small stone and water the stones - the effect being a source of daily humidity. Don't allow your pot to come in direct contact with the water source. If you do, you'll get root rot. Mist your pine daily with cool water. Place pine near window for light. Now for the bad news for those peeking through the www for an answer. If you've got brown edges and dropping needles and branches - you're plant doesn't know it's dead yet. Sorry - you have to break the news to your pine, so be gentle. If it insists on denial, (maybe its an inherited survival instinct) then perform the above hocus-pocus, and perhaps you'll get devine intervention by the plant gods. Good luck.
    Expert

Jan 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tfrimet View Post
    sorry your plant died. this post is for those that are coming along recently - 1/2012. don't disturb the roots by repotting as the shock will kill your plant. don't overwater. don't underwater. place potted plant over a larger container with shallow sides - fill the shallow container with small stone and water the stones - the effect being a source of daily humidity. don't allow your pot to come in direct contact with the water source. if you do, you'll get root rot. mist your pine daily with cool water. place pine near window for light. now for the bad news for those peeking thru the www for an answer. if you've got brown edges and dropping needles and branches - you're plant doesn't know it's dead yet. sorry - you have to break the news to your pine, so be gentle. If it insists on denial, (maybe its an inherited survival instinct) then perform the above hocus-pocus, and perhaps you'll get devine intervention by the plant gods. Good luck.
    Good post, tfrimet, you make a lot of sense, and... you are amusing. Can you stick around and post some more on plant questions ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Serbian pine [ 1 Answers ]

My Serbian pine, which was planted almost two years ago is losing it's pine needles (not cones). At present the top two feet are bare and one/two middles branches. I fertilized it this spring and have sprayed it twice with fungaside and diazon, as per instruction of the landscaper that planted...

Pine Furniture [ 1 Answers ]

I have some bedroom pine furniture which I wish to paint. Which paint is best to use?

Pine furniture [ 1 Answers ]

I have pine dressers. I got a new lamp and I see that there are brown circles from the felt bottom on my dresser. Help, How can I remove these?

Pine needles [ 1 Answers ]

I have clumps of pine needles and pine cones that fell from a red pine tree Covering the ground. The clumps look like they were chopped off the tree. There is only 2 pine trees that this is happening to. There is a lot of clumps Covering the ground. It looks like someone covered the grass...

Autisic schooling in norfolk [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any autisic schooling for my 13yr in norfolk

View more questions Search