Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emakala Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2005, 01:59 PM
    Doxie JRT Cross hiccups
    Our pup has had digestive problems since we acquired him. He's considerably better as we have made some adjustments to his diet and meal times. After his first morning exercise he's given a 'cookie' just to have something in his stomach and half an hour later he's given a small amount of a good quality canned food. He has free access to good kibble and water at all times. We try to keep his exeurberant energy and exercise to a minimum right after eating to let things settle. If we don't follow this regimine, he vomits yellow bile everywhere, all over the wall to wall carpets so we're pretty careful to be consistent with him. What I need to know is, is it normal for this breed or cross breed to have hiccups everyday, sometimes as many as three times a day? Is there anything I can do to alleviate the hiccups? It usually happens when he's at rest. Are the hiccups indicative of a more serious problem?
    Thanks for any help...
    Emakala
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2005, 02:31 PM
    A few dogs do seem to to have hiccups although not as much as you say he does. Since you seem to have the other problems under control, I wouldn't worry about it. I think their stomachs do settle down a little as they mature. I must admit I lack experience with the Doxies and JRT's. However I have been around a long time in net years and have never seen that many similar questions about them.
    lavaya23 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2005, 06:58 PM
    dogs and hiccups
    I was trying to find information on my dog... I happened to click on this... I'm no expert on dogs, but I know that the dogs I grew up around, and the two dogs I have now get the hiccups. Our one dog is an Australian Shephard x and the other is a pure bread Daschund; both get the hiccups on a very regular basis. And yes our Daschund gets them at LEAST once a day if not more! She only keeps them for about 2 to 3 minutes and then they go away, there is not much we've found that works to take care of them other than to wait them out.
    Emakala Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2005, 08:04 AM
    Dach Russell's hiccups
    I have since found that if I gently rub his throat that the hiccups stop in a matter of seconds. He doesn't get them quite as often. Perhaps as his system has matured (now a year old) things have settled down. Also, I wonder how much housebreaking and training caused a bit of anxiety and upset too. He very rarely has an accident in the house now, but occasionally vomits, but not as often as long as we stick to our regimine. Things are getting better and he is a very happy little dog we dearly love despite the tough going and frustration we encountered at the start. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog with hiccups [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mixed breed puppy (we think). We got our dog from a rescue society. He could be sleeping and all of a sudden he has the hiccupps. They only last about a minute or two. Is this something I should worry about?

Doxie JRT Cross very nearly stolen [ 1 Answers ]

Our pup, now 9 months old, likes to travel with us in our car. His digestive problems have settled down, making trips easier. Yesterday while he was alone in the car for a short time, a woman broke into our locked car and had removed him. Fortunately, she was discovered and her attempt to take him...

Doxie JRT Cross digestive problem and then some [ 2 Answers ]

The vet has put our 7 month old pup on a special perscriptive canned food to help him with his digestive problems as reported earlier (vomiting and now diarrea). He's to get half a can in the morning and the other half in the evening. However, he doesn't want to eat anyting before 12: noon, in...

Vomiting Doxie JRT cross seen the vet, but [ 1 Answers ]

Our 7 month old Doxie JRT pup, Rutgar, saw the vet yesterday for his vomiting problem. The vet is running a stool sample now and will get back to us if he sees a parasite problem. He doesn't think that's it. This little guy looks great, but hasn't grown. His appetite hasn't been good and he's not...

Vomiting Doxie JRT cross pup [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you labman for your quick response. Mosquitos and heartworm are not, as yet a problem in our area... Southeastern British Columbia. We have noticed that his stool is often soft. Starts normal and ends soft. Is he not absorbing his food properly? The other thing which might have a deliterious...

View more questions Search