Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Auttajasi Posts: 107, Reputation: 27

May 17, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Can you believe in the Big Bang Theory AND God?
    "Can you believe in the Big Bang theory AND a God that created the universe or are they mutually exclusive?"
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 11:33 AM
    I am firmly convinced of both God the Creator and the Big Bang that He set off.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 17, 2007, 11:34 AM
    My belief: yes you can believe in both without being inconsistent. Science tries to tell us how things happened, not why. The fact that the Big Bang describes the instant of creation is in my opinion not inconsistent with a role for a supreme being who could have created the rules by which the Big Bang worked (as well as all subsequent laws of physics). To be sure the Big Bang doesn't in any way prove the existence of God either; I just maintain that they are not inconsistent.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 17, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Why not, after all a while ago we all believed that the world was flat.
    Belief is an amazing thing, you don't need proof to believe in anything.
    After all we don't know for sure about either the Big Bang or God, yet we choose to believe.
    Auttajasi Posts: 107, Reputation: 27

May 17, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Do you think that there are more spiritual people that believe in the Big Bang, compared with science minded people that believe in God. Why. My experience is that it is difficult to have a conversation about God with a deeply rooted scientist. It is also equally difficult to have a scientific conversation with a deeply religious or spiritual believer.
    I think those of us that believe strongly in both are an exception to the rule, but I could be wrong.

Curlyben, what do you tell a person that claims to know for sure that God exists? Describing my own belief in God, it is not a hope that he exists; I know he exists. No, I have not seen God, or claim any special divinity as a chosen one.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
    From a scientific stand point you cannot PROVE that God exists, as we can't PROVE that the Big Bang happened.
    We have indicators and can surmise but we have NO hard scientific proof.

At the end of the day belief is a very personal thing, so each to their own.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 17, 2007, 01:27 PM
    I think the "deeply religous" and the "deeply scientific" are not mutually exclusive, but are rather "orthogonal" to each other. What I mean is that the scientific and spiritual thinking operate entirely differently, and so it's rare that one is comfortable and proficient operating in both worlds. Your observation is like noticing that there are few professional athletes who are also accomplished artists - it's not that you can't do both, but anyone who devotes their career to one of these professions is unlikely to very successful in the other. But for the rest of us "dabblers," we can certainly appreciate, understand, and even try to emulate both athletes and artists. So it is for us dabblers in science and spirituality.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

May 18, 2007, 08:29 PM
    I happen to know two physics professors who are married. One is an atheist precisely because he does not see, through physics, proof of God. The other does believe in God because she can see the proof God. She looks at the universe through the eyes of Thomas Aquinas, and he through the eyes of Charles Darwin. It seems as if it is the point of view from which they see the universe.

I see no contradiction in believing in the Big Bag and God. For to me God is the cause.
    amzamz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Auttajasi
    "Can you believe in the Big Bang theory AND a God that created the universe or are they mutually exclusive?"
    Of corse you can!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 11:52 PM
    It depends on what you believe God did. If you believe he created the universe 4000 years ago, then obviously you cannot believe that there was a big bang 13.6 billion years ago.

The 2 are not mutually exclusive, though.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

May 23, 2007, 02:48 PM
    When God created Adam and Eve, He created them as mature humans. So to with the universe.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 23, 2007, 03:08 PM
    I believe the Creator did it all.
    steviebeezie Posts: 66, Reputation: 13

May 23, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Stephen Hawking has expressed that physics has indicated to him that there MUST be a God. So I'd say it's certainly possible. If you feel you must literally interpret your religious text of choice, then believing the validity of Big Bang cosmology becomes somewhat more difficult.

As for me, I'd love to think there's something bigger out there... but until I see what it is, the search must go on and I will assert nothing.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 07:16 PM
    GOD "Said" let there be... He spoke the universe into existence. The expanding universe that the scientist see is just GODs voice moving in all directions at the speed of sound through absolutely nothing while still creating. Simply because it looks as if something exploded and is moving away from a center point does not make it the reaction of an explosion. The center point it is moving away from is the Creator. What was there to explode in the first place and what caused it to explode? Nothing. In the beginning, there was nothing in the physical realm.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Steviebeezie disagrees: interesting idea, but it's the speed of light, not sound. HUGE difference.
    Nice attempt but Im pretty sure that no one actually believes it's the sound waves from Gods actual voice. In that sense, "The voice of God" cannot be heard by the human ear nor measured by anything but the soul... which would also lay upon the same frequency.

Its funny how most cannot help but attune God with man and the physical realm
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 05:34 PM
    My mistake. GOD is light so it only stands to reason that his creation is still creating at the speed of light. Thank you for refreshing my memory stieviebeezie. It has been years since I first conceived the reality of the multiverse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 05:46 PM
    So why not, we know that God created everything, I have no problem believing that God created it with a "bang"

While I personally don't believe it that way, I think God created it fully developed, I will not disrespect a person who still has their faith in Jesus as God's Son because they believe God created it by creating all matieral from nothing and allowing the laws of nature to take effect.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 07:06 PM
    And then again, some one here may have hit the nail spuare on the head and we still wouldn't know for certain. It's all a matter of how you translate what you see around you and what makes you comfortable. If some one tells me they have the final answer, I just look at them and smile and say,"Good for you!"
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

May 29, 2007, 07:42 PM
    I personally feel that you can believe in both and not be contradicting yourself. Merely because it's a possibility that god was the one who allowed the ''Big Bang'' to happen in the first place. Now, I myself, believe in the here and now. I'm not too concerned with how it all began or how I got here. What's more important to me, is what to do with myself and my time on this earth. We live but a short time anyway.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 30, 2007, 10:24 AM
    The theory would only be unnacceptable to believers in God if it required no God to be involved by default. Actually that's mind-set adopted by most BB theorists. However, there is nothing in the theory itself that requires the exclusion of a Creator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Big Bang & Ages of Earth/Universe [ 16 Answers ]

Has modern science proven the ages of the Universe and the Earth? Also, has science retreated on the theory of the Big Bang, or do most astronomers still hold to this theory?

Big bang & ages of earth/universe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I have a friend who claims that the earth is only 10,000 years old. He also says that the Big Bang never occurred as modern science says it did. Is there any "proof" of the age of the earth at around 4 billion years old? Also, is there any scientific "proof" that the Big Bang occurred...

Big bang from furnace on startup [ 1 Answers ]

Starting this evening my Janitrol furnace is making an exceptionally loud bang. It has repeated the bang every time since at startup. I have disengaged the unit, cleaned the filters and cleaned out the unit, checking the venting for obstructions (haven't seen any). It's late and pretty cold out...

Big bang [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my furnace puff loudly when first ignighting? It's a natural gas Hydro Therm with two burners. The pilot seems to be resting close to the primary burner? Help My furnace seems to let out a loud pop when ignighting it's a natural gas two burner Hydro Therm pilot seems to be close to...

Bohr theory vs modern theory [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain the differences between the bohr and the modern atomic theories in the description of the electron Thanks :p

View more questions Search