Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindsaymonaghan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 10:11 PM
    My first grader has an IEP and I want to hold her back
    Please someone tell me how to proceed at my next IEP meeting. My little girl is doing pretty well in first grade but she is very immature. She seems more like a kindergartener than a first grader. She is just a little behind in reading but needs one on one to do math. She currently gets 2 45 minute sessions of resource a day and I'm not sure of the quality of that extra help. I also have taken her to the Center For Visual Learning and done vision therapy for the past 5 months wich has done wonders for her. I also take her to a private tutor once a week. Her IEP team thinks she is fine to go to second grade and my husband and I want her to be retained and back off on the resource so she will not miss as much classroom time. The IEP team wants to give her more resource and modifications next year in second grade. I don't feel that is fair to her!! She is labelled as developmentally delayed by the way. I have a meeting coming up.. how should I handle it? :confused:
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Has a psycho-educational evaluation been done? If not, try to get one.

Generally speaking, a child who is developmentally delayed will not gain from being held back. However, if your daughter is emotionally young for her age, it may help a little tiny bit to hold her back. Most children who are behind emotionally will catch up on their own.

I presume she is doing reading and math in her resource time? If so, what is she missing when she goes there? If it is the same subjects then taking advantage of the resource room really might be the best thing for her. If she has a lot of difficulty with math, consider putting her in some kind of extra curricular activity that involves music. Also, play music at home all the time. It will help.

I have to tell you that a lot of parents would kill to get what they are offering your daughter. To me, it really sounds like they really have her needs at heart. My daughter and I run a business advocating and supporting families with children with special needs in the school system. We often have to fight tooth and nail to get the appropriate modifications and extra resource withdrawal. If her needs aren't being met during withdrawal, then I would approach the IEP team with the question as to why. This is also where a Psycho-educational Evaluation can be invaluable.

You can go along with what the IEP team suggests, but ask for a review after a month or so. Has she been tested for a Non-verbal LD?

I hope that I have helped a bit.

Didi
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 11:01 PM
    Oh, forgot to add... have someone go in with you as support. They don't have to participate, but just be there to increase your numbers. :) They can help by giving you a cue if you are getting too emotional, taking notes, etc.

Also, there is a good book called "Exceptional Children - Ordinary Schools" written by Dr. Norm Forman. If you can get it at your library, give it a read. If not, order it. He taught the course I took and the book is well written and full of good information and suggestions. If you are in Canada or the U.S. then I would also suggest that you sign up for the Wrightslaw weekly e-zine by email. Visit their site if you aren't familiar with it. It is a wealth of information. Check out some of the older issues that deal specifically with IEP's and this page on IEP's.

Let me know if there is any other information that I might be able to help you out with.

Hugs, Didi
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 16, 2007, 11:05 PM
    I am not saying that I agree or disagree but I can say that unless you agree with the terms of the IEP you do NOT have to sign it. I have been to many IEPs and they do try to gang up on you in those things. My nephew was recommended to be held back this year 5th, My sister refused because the truth be known he hasn't matured much from the time he was in Kindergarten. It wouldn't have changed anything to have held him back then anyway. It would not have made him more emotionally mature rather they would have held him back or not.
    soraya Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lindsaymonaghan
    Please someone tell me how to proceed at my next IEP meeting. My little girl is doing pretty well in first grade but she is very immature. She seems more like a kindergartener than a first grader. She is just a little behind in reading but needs one on one to do math. She currently gets 2 45 minute sessions of resource a day and I'm not sure of the quality of that extra help. I also have taken her to the Center For Visual Learning and done vision therapy for the past 5 months wich has done wonders for her. I also take her to a private tutor once a week. Her IEP team thinks she is fine to go to second grade and my husband and I want her to be retained and back off on the resource so she will not miss as much classroom time. The IEP team wants to give her more resource and modifications next year in second grade. I don't feel that is fair to her!!!! She is labelled as developmentally delayed by the way. I have a meeting coming up..how should I handle it? :confused:
    My son also was emotionally youner than his age. I think holding her back will make her feel sad since her friends are moving on. A lot can be done now in schools for students. Class time won't be missed since she will be having the same subjects in a small group situation. I feel it is important for her to move up to 2nd grade and make sure the teachers follow up with EVERYTHING that is needed for her to succeed.
    My son was in special classes and it has done wonders for him. I was also very hesitant but always kept in close contact with the school and worked as team member with the teachers.
    Good luck
    Crackers Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 01:49 AM
    I'm a teacher and been on the other end of the IEP process. My opinion is that I agree with the suggestions of the other professionals. There are a great amount of social issues in holding children back. I only would recommend it as a last resort. It would be very difficult for your child to ever be back at grade level with her peers. Getting Special Ed support is usually a struggle both on the parents and the teachers side. There is only so much room in these programs so having it offered is really a fortunate circumstance.
    I agree with you that Special ed support removal, can be very conflicting, and confusing for children. Would they be willing to offer in-class support?
    If you are questioning the quality of the special ed program don't sit on the fence. Make an appointment with the special ed teacher and communicate that you want to be more on board with what's going on. I call the families of my special Ed students at least once every two weeks. Ask if you can observe your child in any of the school settings, or volunteer, make yourself visible. If you are still not happy then express your concerns with the principal- use direct examples, be specific, constructive, and demand action.
    Any choice that you make at an IEP meeting is not written in stone. IEP's can be reviewed at your request.
    jeffmbca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Remember - YOU are part of the IEP Team too. You have just as much say, if not more, than any team member. Voice your opinion and make sure everything is written in the IEP whether acted upon or not. You may need it later.

Learning Centers will help the most with learning disabilities. The IEP will help level the field with school work and curriculum. You need both to be successful. You're lucky you're doing so much so early. She may have an IEP her entire life in school. That's okay. Tweak things every year until you find the best settings. And yes, IEPs can be reviewed or changed at any time.

Holding her back won't solve any learning disability issues as she may have them for life. Schools are famous for wanting to hold children back. If they feel she is ready, she probably is. Keep using the Center For Visual Learning. See if there are any other learning centers that will address other concerns. My daughter used several and they helped immensely.

All the best!
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2010, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmbca View Post
    remember - you are part of the iep team too. You have just as much say, if not more, than any team member. Voice your opinion and make sure everything is written in the iep whether acted upon or not. You may need it later.

Learning centers will help the most with learning disabilities. The iep will help level the field with school work and curriculum. You need both to be successful. You're lucky you're doing so much so early. She may have an iep her entire life in school. That's okay. Tweak things every year until you find the best settings. And yes, ieps can be reviewed or changed at any time.

Holding her back won't solve any learning disability issues as she may have them for life. Schools are famous for wanting to hold children back. If they feel she is ready, she probably is. Keep using the center for visual learning. See if there are any other learning centers that will address other concerns. My daughter used several and they helped immensely.

All the best!
    Very old thread
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2010, 04:14 PM

I just want to add something I learned myself just recently this year. It may or may not help your daughter to be held back. I agree with the other poster about giving 2nd grade a try and if after a month its just not working, then revisit the issue.

But the point I want to make, you DO NOT have to sign ANY IEP you do not agree with. So many parents do not realise this, and I say this with the utmost respect to all the teachers and school support staff, this is no way is a dig at you, but as a parent, YOU are the BOSS of that IEP team. If you don't like it, it doesn't happen. If you want something to happen, it happens. So many parents just sit, listen, and sign. Nodding her head the whole time. It doesn't work that way.

Good luck hon. Remember to be proactive, you are your chlids BIGGEST advocate. USE that power to her advantage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felony does it hold me back [ 15 Answers ]

I am 25 years old and got a felony DUI, and I am interested in becoming a real estate agent and was asking if that is a career field I can pursue and if anybody has any other careers that they know a felon can peruse let me know, I really would like to go to college but not sure if I would...

Hold on, move on, or both? [ 169 Answers ]

Hi all, obviously, my problem is about a woman. We broke up to weeks ago. The main reason (she said) was that she didn’t believe in a future for us anymore. We have been a couple for 18 months. The last couple of weeks of our relationship we had a lot of fights. I almost always started the fight...

Hello, I need a scholarship for an eight grader. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my sister is in eight grade and she will be graduating next year on may. I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of grants or scholarship there are in Illinois for incomming high school freshmens.

Is there any thing for an eight grader [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my sister is in eight grade and she will be graduating next year on may. I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of grants or scholarship there are in Illinois for incomming high school freshmens. Thank you.

View more questions Search