Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zazzers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2005, 12:36 PM
    401k tax & penalty
    The company I worked for closed April,2005 and we were given our entire 401k balance. I have no plans to roll this over. I have placed 30% into a savings acount because I know I must pay
    20% tax and 10% penalty. My question is:

Is the tax and penalty due now or can they both be done at tax time next year? Any info on this is greatly appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2005, 07:09 AM
    Zazzers:

You still have time to roll this over into an IRA (you have 60 days from the date of the distribution), and I strongly recommend you do so!

When you factor in your marginal tax rate, the state income taxes and the 10% early withdrawal penalty, you could pay up to 50% of the distribution in taxes.

By rolling it over into a rollover IRA, you then will have time to review your options in detail before making any decisions. If circumstances dictate that you take the money, you can then withdraw the minimum amount needed from the rollover IRA.

If you insist on not using the rollover IRA option, then make an estimated payment to the IRS by 15 June 2005 using Form 1040-ES. Send the entire 30%! It will not be enough, but it's better than nothing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k penalty [ 2 Answers ]

First time homebuying classifies for the non pentalty right? How do they tax, before you receive it or add it to your yearly income come tax time.

401K Penalty and Tax Question [ 11 Answers ]

undefinedLast year when I left my job I took my 401K money in the amount of $9850. I realize I have to pay taxes on this in the amount of $1174 (from tax table) and a penalty (I am unsure of the amount). (Is this penalty after tax?) I have listed this on my 1040A line 11a as an "IRA Distribution"...

401K Distribution penalty [ 3 Answers ]

I had no choice but to take a hardship withdrawal from my 401K after being let go by my employer. It was a difficult time also having been displaced by a house fire and having to rebuild our home and pay for a portion of our alternate living expenses not covered by the insurance company. Being a...

401k penalty payment [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, This past year I liquidated my 401k and am not eligible for a waiver for the 10% penalty. I used turbo tax to file my taxes and while turbo tax did put me through a questionnaire that resulted in it saying I owed a penalty, it never subtracted the penalty or told me how to go about paying...

401K Penalty and Tax Question [ 4 Answers ]

Last year when I left my job I took my 401K money in the amount of $9850. I realize I have to pay taxes on this in the amount of $1174 (from tax table) and a penalty (I am unsure of the amount). (Is this penalty after tax?) I have listed this on my 1040A line 11a as an "IRA Distribution" (this was...

View more questions Search