Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Anything with normal sockets, especially that can fit CFL's.
    WhatTheHeck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shanynpt
    We just installed a Hampton Bay Edgemont ceiling fan that runs with LED bulbs. The fan works fine, the only problem is that the light is very dim (think night light). Is this normal? If not, is it something we can fix or do we need to return the fan? Thanks for your help!
    I just installed the same fan/light (Hampton Bay) Edgemont 52" ceiling fan with light kit. Model 557-268 from Home Depot.

The light is so dim that it could only be considered a night light at best. Nowhere does it indicate that this light is for "mood lighting", etc.

The LED's are a 24 volt system that flat out is inadequate for any use. The thought that someone with Hampton Bay accepted this during the design process is laughable.

For all those with questions regarding this product, the only fix is to take it back to Home Depot and drove over to Lowe's and get a better product. This defiantly has be rethinking the Hampton Bay product line.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 18, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Lowe's will be no better. They sell the same junk.
    It just happened to be the particular fan you bought.
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Lowe's store brand is marginally better than Home Depot's. I prefer Menards to both.
    Vermfiuge_x Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Hi all,

I have the same fan and the same problem. Is there a more "cowboy" solution? Like, can I cut the wire that the LED light attaches to, and attach a new connector that will allow me to connect a regular light kit?
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Yes, but I can't tell you specifically where without pictures.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 09:52 PM
    SHAYNPT... I did a search on this fan online... most of the users review it as a great fan with a "night light" I think what you see is what you get. If you need more light, take it back and get another fan.

Good Luck
    BAFIII Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Sorry folks, not an answer but a question...
    The LED lights on the fan suck, no question about that. The fan otherwise is a great looking fan with what amounts to a huge nightlight hanging from the bottom. Some post mentioned a "cowboy" way of rigging up a more traditional light arrangement. I didn't see a response but was hoping someone might have figured a way around a really poor design. Please respond or email me back on this one. Lowe's has the same crap and I happen to really like the look of the fan.
    Thank you
    BAFIII
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Send me pictures of the light with the cover off.
    johnoutwater1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2009, 11:52 AM

This has nothing to do with inadequate power or lighting- it is simply the output if the LEDs. If I recall, the box for the fan indicates the wattage by the LED is something like 5 or 15 watts, nothing more than a nightlight just as you say. We made the same mistake- this was the best looking fan for the price at Home Depot and were a bit frustrated after having installed it and finding out that the light output was so poor. After checking power I happened to glance at the box and found the reference to low wattage. Home Depot must have had a number of returns because every store now has a tag hanging from the display that states it is not intended for primary lighting.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 01:39 PM

I agree.

Feb 28, 2009, 10:11 PM

Not sure if my original answer made it- or if you even care, but for about two bucks you can replace the LED with a standard chandelier light socket. Unplug the light kit from the fan and take off the top of light housing. Look for the regulator that takes power down to 24 volts (plugs into LED). Cut that out and wire in a chandelier socket. The socket fits perfectly into the metal back plate of the LED. Simply pull the LED card off the plate, insert the socket through the existing hole and secure with the socket nut. Put the whole thing back together and you've got 60-75watts of light.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 11:02 PM

Very good idea.
    pwdesign Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnoutwater1 View Post
    Not sure if my original answer made it- or if you even care, but for about two bucks you can replace the LED with a standard chandelier light socket. Unplug the light kit from the fan and take off the top of light housing. Look for the regulator that takes power down to 24 volts (plugs into LED). Cut that out and wire in a chandelier socket. The socket fits perfectly into the metal back plate of the LED. Simply pull the LED card off the plate, insert the socket thru the existing hole and secure with the socket nut. Put the whole thing back together and you've got 60-75watts of light.
    I just installed this fan and like so many others, I was floored by how dim it was. I really like the look of the fan so I'm going to attempt johnoutwater's CFL surgery. I'm not an electrical expert... so I'm wondering... what does the regulator that I have to remove look like?

Jun 11, 2009, 12:14 AM
    Hey pwdesign, it is a simple, painless process.

When you unscrew the light cover you'll see an LED "card" (round piece of cardboard with a half dozen or so LED lights glued to it) fastened to a round plate with a 1" or so hole in the middle.

Step 1. Remove the screws holding that plate in place, unplug the light kit and disconnect it from the fan body

Step 2. The LEDs have two wires that lead into the light kit housing. Follow the wires from the LED card to a small rectangular piece of plastic with two wires going in (from the LEDs) and two wires going out. The rectangular piece of plastic is screwed to the inside of the light housing and its sole purpose is to take the electricity coming in to the fan and dialing it down to a lower voltage for the LEDs.

Step 3. Remove the screws holding the regulator (not sure if that is the right name for it) to the housing, cut the wires and throw it away.

Step 4. Pull the LED card off the round plate and toss it too. Now you've got two wires from the main wiring harness coming into the center of the light housing and a round plate with a 1" or so hole in its middle separated from the light kit housing.

Step 5. Take the round plate to Home Depot (or wherever) and look for a small plastic light socket/fixture that fits the hole. It will have two wires coming out the back of the fixture and a plastic nut that, once you insert the fixture into the hole in the round plate, screws on the back of the fixture to hold it in place. Ask what the maximum wattage of chandelier light is for the fixture and get a bulb with that wattage (the light cover further diffuses the light, making it softer). Its been a few months but I believe it was around 60-75 watts (get the max). I also believe I used a round bulb so it would fit.

Step 6. Insert the new chandelier socket/fixture into the hole of the round plate and screw the plastic nut on the back.

Step 7. Using wire nuts, connect the wires from the fan's light kit (recently cut by you) to the wires coming out of the new socket/fixture.

Step 8. Reconnect the lighting harness, screw the round plate back where it belongs, put your new bulb in and reassemble the light on the fan. You should be good to go.

I really liked the look of those fans and bought two, and got to be doubly disappointed with the output of light; however this fix really did the trick. The conervsion of my second fan took me about ten minutes start to finish. Good luck!

Jun 11, 2009, 05:22 PM
    Wow! Thank you very much for taking the time to write out the great instructions. I bought two of these fans also. One is mounted already and the other is standing by. I'll post the results. Thanks!

Jun 17, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnoutwater1 View Post
    Step 2. The LEDs have two wires that lead into the light kit housing. Follow the wires from the LED card to a small rectangular piece of plastic with two wires going in (from the LEDs) and two wires going out. The rectangular piece of plastic is screwed to the inside of the light housing and its sole purpose is to take the electricity coming in to the fan and dialing it down to a lower voltage for the LEDs.
    Step 3. Remove the screws holding the regulator (not sure if that is the right name for it) to the housing, cut the wires and throw it away.
    John-

Well I gave it the ol' college try, but I'm suspecting that maybe the model I bought came with different equipment. There is no regulator that is screwed to the LED plate. (See photos attached) The wires go directly into the plate from the main harness. I tried cutting them at the plate (where the blue wire nuts are) and wiring in the chandelier socket, but the light did not work. I thought perhaps I missed something so I took the LED plate to an electrical supply guy and they said that the transformer(regulator) is before the plate, perhaps inside the fan housing.

Let me know if the LED looks different from yours. I'm curious and I really like this fan, but I can't leave it with the LED lighting... its useless. I can't believe they would make a fan like this with such a useless light.
    :confused:
    Thanks for your help
    PatW
    Attached Images

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:15 AM

On the LED plate, it shows where 24 volts should be applied. Likely DC.
    You would have to connect to the control before the voltage reduction, Hopefull dimming is done before regulator, and can handle the 120 volt load. How about brighter led's?
    24 volt bulbs? If able to get 120 volt bulbs working watch the wattage as more heat will be given off than designed for.
    siwind Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2009, 03:00 PM
    The regulator is located in the Switch housing, a white and black wire from the light swich to the regulator, a red and black wire from the regulator to the LED light plate. Cut the white and black wires at the regulator and connect to the chandelier bulb sockets.

Regulator: Model PS-2405
    INPUT: AC120V
    OUTPUT: DC24V
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:37 PM

The regulator would be at the other end of the black and red wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan - light will not dim [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with light and remote. Remote is model TC707ST, but I cannot see model number of fan. Installing contractor a year ago must have discarded manual. This lighted fan has worked perfectly before, but now when I use the remote to turn on and dim the light, it will...

Fan works but light doesn't. Fixed and now the light works but fan doesn't [ 9 Answers ]

While I was at college somehow my fan stopped working. There is absolutely no explination from anybody but my mom did get a replacement so I didn't care too much. The fan has a ground from the mount(copper), ground from the middle of the fan(copper), a hot for the light(blue), hot for the...

Light works but fan doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all I have a Hampton Bay 60 In. Ancient Bronze St. Regis Fan and the light works but fan doesn't when I press a button on the remote to turn fan on the fan makes a clicking noise it just clicks once... anyone know what could be wrong? We don't have a wall switch. And the fan is indoors.

Fan works light doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

Any ideas on a windward II fan/light combo remotely controlled. I have changed batteries in remote, checked bulb and got a new bulb, when Press the light button on remote I get the light display and brightness but no light comes on. I was wondering if it might be the ballast, It is a 9"...

View more questions Search