Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevin2006 Posts: 78, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Anyone know anything about anti-depressants?
    My doctor recommended them to me but I'm really scared of using them. Does anyone know any possible side effects they may have (ex. Prozac)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Kevin, I can tell you all about them... I have my 2007 Mosby's Drug Reference right here by my side.

Tell me the ones you want to know about and exactly what you want to know and I'll tell you!!

kevin2006 Posts: 78, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Hey... I don't know exactly what my doctor will give me BTU she mentioned prozac. Are all anti depressants the same?
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Kevin, not all antidepressants are alike, same with side effects.

You have SSRIs which are Selective Serotoning Reuptake Inhibitors, which are the first line of antidepressants.

They include, but are not limited to

Celexa - tends to make one drowsy
    Prozac - tends to make one more alert
    Paxil - has a slight sedative effect
    Zoloft
    And
    Luvox

These are just a few. Some of the side effects with these are dry mouth, blurred vision, sedation, GI upset (nausea and diarrhea) weight loss, headache, dizziness, anxiety and sexual dysfunction.

Many of these SEs go away with time.

Then you have what is called your Novel Antidepressants, which include but are not limited to

Wellbutrin/Zyban
    Vestra
    Effexor
    Serzone
    And
    Desryl

Now there are the trycyclic antidepressants, they include
    Elavil - which is very good with sleeping problems
    Asendin - not used much anymore
    Norpramin
    Sinequan - very good for sleep disorders
    And
    Pamelor

Now we go on to the MAOIs, such as
    Nardil
    Parnate
    Manerix

As you see there are many categories and there are many drugs. Many more drugs that I have not listed.

When you find out which one may be prescribed, I will be happy to help you out.
    Haxzor50 Posts: 147, Reputation: 1
    -

May 16, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Umm I would definitley suggest zoloft... paxel, and prozac can upset your stomach real bad...
    And I don't know about the others
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Haxzor50, while the side effects that you speak about could affect kevin2006 I really don't think that you should "definitely suggest" any one drug.

kevin2006, the key in taking any anti-depressant is to have confidence in the prescribing physician, start on low doses, be totally honest with your doctor, educate yourself and be aware of side-effects and risks and to follow up with the doctor (or a therapist) on a regular basis. Gradually follow up visits will reduce as you find the correct dose, but be aware that any stressful situation (good or bad stress) can result in a need to have your medication adjusted.

Your physician should consider a number of factors in their decision as to what they prescribe. If cost is an issue, make sure your physician knows up front. Also, discuss your fears with your doctor. They should spend enough time with you to go through all of the information. Anyone on anti-depressants should have extended appointments with their doctor on follow-ups.

Hope this helps.

Didi
    -

May 16, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Okay, I did say that wrong, but I'm on zoloft and it worked wonders, I was on paxel and prozac, they all upset my stomach, but zoloft worked wonders on me...

So my suggestion to you is zoloft, but its your choice... ask your doctor about them all, he won't lie lol...

None of them are dangerous, but if you take the wrong dosage there's a slight chance of getting more depressed...
    Expert

May 17, 2007, 04:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Haxzor50
    okay, i did say that wrong, but im on zoloft and it worked wonders, i was on paxel and prozac, they all upset my stomach, but zoloft worked wonders on me...
    This is true Haxzor, but it does not work this way for everyone. While Zoloft works for you, it made me suicidal many years ago. That is why there are so many meds and it is trial and error when finding the right med for each person.

soo my suggestion to you is zoloft, but its your choice
    Actually, it is not his choice, it is the choice of the doctor to prescribe the right med for the right symptoms.

he wont lie lol...
    He might not lie, but he might not know about all the meds and all of the side effects if it is a GP that is prescribing the meds.

none of them are dangerous, but if you take the wrong dosage theres a slight chance of getting more depressed...
    Haxzor, where do you get your info from? Just curious because some are VERY dangerous if certain lab tests are not performed on a routine basis, if you eat certain foods, etc.

Please do not make such broad statements. When dealing with the health boards one must be knowledgeable in the subject, not just taking the meds. It is apparent you are not knowledgeable, therefore what info have given thus far could be potentially dangerous to a vulnerable individual.
    -

May 21, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Yeah dude, I mean prozac, paxel and zoloft, all aren't dangerous...

Only the upset stomach is mainly the problem with them...

Yes paxel made me scuicidal...
    LifePaparazzi Posts: 86, Reputation: 9

Mar 24, 2008, 12:20 AM
    Don't be afraid, enjoy life again.
    While antidepresants are very helpful, there are a few risks. It is important for your
    Dr. to check you liver and kidney functions, prior to prescribing.

As a sufferer of very severe bi-polar disorder, I have been on a number of them over the years. Keep in mind that not all drugs work the same for every person. Sometimes may works well for one, is horrible for others. It is a bit of a tryal and error science. It will be vital for you to monitor your condition, (ask a loved one to help) and communicate with your Dr. about any unwanted side effects you "may" experience.

The most important advice I can give you is this - MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR MED. REGULARLY. Under no circumstances should you suddenly stop taking your meds. as psych. Meds. Must be tapered off. Not doing so will cause havoc to your system. Also, keep in mind that it can take several weeks for you to feel the full benefit of the drug. So do not be discouraged if the first one you try does not work.

However, Do NOT be afraid to take antidepressants. They will make your life so much more enjoyable. Keep in mind that depression is a disease, just like diabetes for example. There is nothing to be ashamed off. Enjoy life.
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Mar 26, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Talk with your M.D. Prescription drugs should include a very in-depth data sheet included. You can also vist drug sites on the internet for very complete data and never take a suppository while your driving. Good Luck,, ST

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anti money laundering [ 1 Answers ]

1. Who is the regulating authority for AML and CTF in UAE? 2. What is Office of Foreign Asset Control (Ofac) list? 3. What are main risks involved in non-compliance? 4. What are the three major stages of AML? 5. Which is the legitimate sources of income below

Which anti-virus [ 5 Answers ]

Windows 2003 server doesn't support kaspersky,which anti-virus is best for 2003 server?

Anti virus [ 2 Answers ]

Lately when turnning the computer on EZtrust anti virus icon at the bottom throws up a flag saying the anti virus may not be up to date. I can't figure out how to update it. Should I just get another program or will that cause a conflct by having two anti virus programs. I have a powerSpec computer...

Anti-Depressants effect on sex drive and orgasms [ 5 Answers ]

So, my boyfriend and I have been together for about 6 months now. I am 22 and he is 25. We have a long distance relationship (only about a 2 hour drive) so I only get to see him on the weekends. When we first started having sex it was AMAZING! We both wanted it all the time (and he lasted a long...

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

View more questions Search