Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    purpretty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 03:17 PM
    I need sleep at night!
    I live in a small city and there is a dog that lives next door that seems to be lost and forgotten about it cry's when the owners come home as if to be begging for food or attention. I feel bad for the dog But This dog barks all night long since the owners seem to not notice the needs of this dog. I can not sleep in my own bed because of this dog barking at all hours of the night up till 3am and as new to the area as I am I don’t want to complain but my gosh don’t you have some ordinance to govern the rights of others in this town? Why no one else has complained am I the only one with the dog at my window? How nice can a person be whom is sleep deprived?
    I guess I should also mention the neighbors have never introduced themselves maybe this is why?
    What do you suggest I do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 03:48 PM
    I would suggest report the nuisance and especially if you think the dog is being abused or deprived, even more so. Either call the police or call animal control. I think you can remain anonymous.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 04:24 PM
    purpretty, since we don't know where you live, call your police as tickle suggests, or call the town/city clerks office, to find out if a noise ordinance exists. If one does, you will have to call the police when the barking occurs. They will come out and investigate the neighbor and give them either a warning or a ticket. If you are positive the dog is neglected, then call your local animal control and report it. They will send someone out to investigate and will continue to follow up if it appears the dog is neglected. In either case, I don't think you can remain anonymous. At a minimum, they will ask for your name and phone number to ensure it isn't a crank call. But, you can request that they do not use your name when they contact the neighbor. They deal with this stuff all the time.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 08:37 PM
    If the dog is tied up outside, you may find some help at Dogs Deserve Better Home: No Chained Dogs! I am not sure dogs left outside in a fenced yard all the time are much better off, but we must fight the worst abuse first.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by purpretty
    I live in a small city and there is a dog that lives next door that seems to be lost and forgotten about it cry's when the owners come home as if to be begging for food or attention. I feel bad for the dog But This dog barks all night long since the owners seem to not notice the needs of this dog. I can not sleep in my own bed because of this dog barking at all hours of the night up till 3am and as new to the area as I am I don’t want to complain but my gosh don’t you have some ordinance to govern the rights of others in this town? Why no one else has complained am I the only one with the dog at my window? How nice can a person be whom is sleep deprived?
    I guess I should also mention the neighbors have never introduced themselves maybe this is why?
    What do you suggest I do?
    You have the right to protect your sanity. If you report them make sure that they do not take it out on the poor dog... they may try to whip it, to make it shut up at night. If you see or hear them doing this please, please call the police. Since they do not seem to be caring owners take a peek at it to make sure the chain or collar isn't growing in to its neck. Also check to see if it is too skinny. I'm not suggesting that you do a physical check only a visual check... tied dogs are more likely to bite! If you notice this please call the humane service. You may just be the angel that this dogs needs. Good luck.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 07:03 PM
    I hope you wouldn't even think of such a thing, but on another site, somebody is asking if the neighbor may have poisened her dog. Such questions or other abuse come up now and then. I never have the guts to ask the questioner if the dog barks all night or runs loose ripping up the garbage or fouling people's yards. It would be interesting if you were the neighbor. Real dog lovers don't like having such rotten apples in our barrel. We like to sleep too.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Gosh labman, what a terrible thought! I hope that is not the case here. I got that purpretty was tired but it didn't sound like she was anywhere near contemplating something like that. It wasn't clear whether the dog was inside or outside. Until you posted, I didn't connect that the dog might be outside. I hope purpretty sees all these and responds. Purpretty, please post back and let us know what the exact situation is. Maybe someone here might have additional constructive ideas for you.
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 06:13 AM
    I think most barking problems come from dogs forced to stay outside by themselves. As I said, I have to wonder what people have been letting their dog do when I read questions about people afraid the neighbors are harming it. I would like to think hardly anybody would harm even a problem dog, let alone one that wasn't a problem. There was nothing in the OP to suggest any idea of harming the dog. I am sorry if my post suggested there was.

I guess what it all means is that we have no way of keeping dogs out of the hands of inconsiderate boors.
    purpretty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I hope you wouldn't even think of such a thing, but on another site, somebody is asking if the neighbor may have poisened her dog. Such questions or other abuse come up now and then. I never have the guts to ask the questioner if the dog barks all night or runs loose ripping up the garbage or fouling people's yards. It would be interesting if you were the neighbor. Real dog lovers don't like having such rotten apples in our barrel. We like to sleep too.
    Hi thanks for the info I am the neighbor and no I have never thought of doing anything like that I spoke with the owner and they are trying to tend to the dog on a more regular basis. And so I have been able to sleep a few nights thus far. I hope this has resolved the issue and I also did contact animal control and they told me they were going to inform her of a complaint so I simply went and introduced myself with bad news! LOL She said she was completely unaware I don thinks so but it has improved as to date
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 08:37 PM
    I am glad you are getting a little response out of your neighbor. I wanted to bring up the point of if your neighbor doesn't seem to like your dog, you need to ask why. I didn't want to suggest you would harm the dog. I think that very seldom happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Two year old won't sleep through night [ 11 Answers ]

I have a two year old and he won't sleep through the night, he will go to bed but then wake up later on and stay up all night... is something wrong with him? Is there anything I can do? I do a bedtime rutine and everything... I am so frustrated!! :mad:

5yo Dog won't sleep through the night [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5yo Westie/ Shi Tzu Mix. She slept in her crate until about 6 months ago. Since then she comes into my bed at night time. The problem is that she gets out of bed anywhere from 1-10 times during the night. She doesn't have to go potty, she gennerly wants to go into the living room or just...

My one year old won't sleep at night! [ 3 Answers ]

Justyc was going through a stage where he would sleep from about 8 or 9 till midnight then be awake for an hour and go back to bed. As time went on the span he was awake from midnight gradually got longer. He is now to the point where he doesn't actually sleep for a long period. I have tried...

View more questions Search