Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daddio4849 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Accounting Methods
    The Ritz Manor is a popular seaside resort. A double room costs $220 for one night. In order to reserve a room, guests must pay one night¿s stay in advance. On each floor of the hotel, Vendalite Company operates vending machines with energy bars, juices, and other snacks for guests. Vendalite stocks the machines and collects revenue every week. Total average weekly revenue from these machines is $720. The Ritz Manor is entitled to 30% of the revenue from the machines. Vendalite sends a check to the Ritz Manor once at the end of each quarter for the resort¿s share of the revenue.

Based on this information, what type of adjusting entries does the Ritz Manor have?

How are the amounts of these adjustments determined?

Which accounts are affected
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 16, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Please refer to THIS ANNOUNCEMENT
    RhondaHonda3435 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daddio4849
    The Ritz Manor is a popular seaside resort. A double room costs $220 for one night. In order to reserve a room, guests must pay one night¿s stay in advance. On each floor of the hotel, Vendalite Company operates vending machines with energy bars, juices, and other snacks for guests. Vendalite stocks the machines and collects revenue every week. Total average weekly revenue from these machines is $720. The Ritz Manor is entitled to 30% of the revenue from the machines. Vendalite sends a check to the Ritz Manor once at the end of each quarter for the resort¿s share of the revenue.

Based on this information, what type of adjusting entries does the Ritz Manor have?

How are the amounts of these adjustments determined?

Which accounts are affected
    Based on the information, the type of adjusting entries the Ritz Manor must have is unearned revenue. The Ritz Manor receives a one night pay in advance for a reservation. “The term unearned revenue refers to cash received in advance of providing products and services” (Larson, Wild & Chiapetta, 2005, pg. 101). Also, the Vendalite Company’s stocking of the vending machines is a unearned revenue. In turn, it can also be an earned revenue. “As products or services are provided, the unearned revenue becomes earned revenues” (Larson, Wild & Chiapetta, 2005, pg. 101).

The amounts of these adjustments are determined by how much the Ritz Manor charges for one night in advance and what they earn for the vending machines. “The process of adjusting accounts involves analyzing each account balance and the transactions and events that affect to determine any needed adjustments” (Larson, Wild & Chiapetta, 2005, pg. 97).

The balance sheet accounts are affected by the adjustments. “Each adjusting entry affects one or more income statement accounts and one or more balance sheets accounts (but not cash)” (Larson, Wild & Chiapetta, 2005, pg. 105).

Reference
    Larson, K.D. Wild, J.J. Chiapetta, B. (2005). Fundamental Accounting Principles.
    Chapter 3, pgs. 93-133. New York: McGraw-Hill Irwin.

I hope this helped you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depreciation Methods [ 3 Answers ]

On January 1, 2003, Eiger Company Purchased A New Piece Of Machinery. The Machine Cost $200,000. Optional Equipment For The Machine Was Also Purchased At A Cost Of $14,000. The Manufacturer Charged $1,400 To Install The Option. The Estimated Life Of The Machine Was 7 Years And The Estimated...

Accounting methods in Canada. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, For my research paper in Financial Accounting class I need to find information about Accounting methods in Canada: Are IAS used in Canada? Are there any peculiarities in Accounting methods used in Canada? Particularly I need information about Accounting for Investments in Associates ( in...

Depreciation Methods [ 1 Answers ]

A company purchases a freezer which costs 135,650.00. Should the machine be depreciated under the MARCS at 10 years life and would I depreciate under the 150% or the straight-line? I am having some difficulty understanding what the best method of depreciation would be and why. Is the Straight-Line...

Methods [ 2 Answers ]

Could anyone please help me to find the following: drawing tests and those ones on determination of the meaning of life and death to conduct the research into psychology of gender in family man and woman, as well as self-appraisal measures (Budassi?), semantic differences method (Individual...

View more questions Search