Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aniruddh Vyas Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Lack of scientific and logical grammar in english language
    We start learning english from our childhood. But what I wonder is that the problem with the language is that we cannot read a word unless we 've heard it before. For e.g. the suffix -tion is pronounced as "shun" but any beginner (say a child of kindergarten) who has just studied the individual pronounsations of 26 alphabets would read it as "teeon".
    Another problem is that can anybody tell me what is the logic behind the silencing certain letters. For e.g. the word Honest is read as onest so why do we use 'h' in the spelling.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 10:19 AM
    English is indeed a strange language with lots of exceptions to the "rules," as you have noted. I suppose this is due to the historical development of english from a wide variety of outside languages, including , french, german, norwegian, etc.

In learning phonics as children there is a lot of emphasis not just on the sounds of the 26 letters but also the special rules for diphthongs - that is, special combinations of letters that together indicate a particular sound. You point out "tion" sound like "shun." "Sh" is itself a common dipthing - it certainly doesn't sound like "s" and "h" separately. Another common one is "th" as in "the" or "both." You just have to memorize what the various dipthings sound like, as well as the individual letters. One of the most confusing is "ough" which may sound like "off" (as in "cough"), or like a long "O" (as in "though") or as "ow" (as in "bough"), or "uf" (as in "enough").

As for silent letters - an ending "e" helps identify that the preceding vowel is to be pronounced using the long sound - for example, "mope" versus "mop." But as to why we have silent letters like the "h" in honest - I don't know.

It amazes me how so much of the world has managed to master all this!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    It amazes me how so much of the world has managed to master all this!
    Master is a bit of a strong word... -_-
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 05:57 AM
    If you find the english language frustrating then you may want to stay away from French and German. The English language has only one gender while French has two and German has three. They too have their exceptions and idiosyncrasies.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 05:58 AM
    NK, they're somewhat more logical than english, however.

I would argue that language has no reason to be logical though.
    dunkyd5566 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 05:04 PM
    What does a apiculturist study? MONKEYS, BEES, SNAKES, OR ANCIENT EGYPT?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 06:35 PM
    French is tough, but they care a lot more about sound than meaning. People who speak French will tease you if you get the gender of an object wrong, because "even children get that right!" Alas, I've heard that before because my French... C'est tres mal!

All the idiosyncracies of English is what makes it one of the hardest languages to learn, from what I understand.
    Lirdn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2013, 05:10 AM
    English is a combnation of many languages over the years, so a lot of the logic is gone
    English The Easy Way

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English grammar/punctuation [ 7 Answers ]

Is this correct grammar and punctuation for the following sentence? I'm holding the article "Five Steps to a Healthy Heart" for an issue close to Valentine's Day.

Need help with English Grammar [ 8 Answers ]

Q10. Which one of the following two sentences are correct. The operating rooms are all in good order. More than one is equipped with the latest imaging technology. The operating rooms are all in good order. More than one are equipped with the latest imaging technology.

English as a second language [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! I'd appreciate it if you could rephrase the followng sentence for me to understand the meaning and translate it into my native language correctly:"Everything that you say or do I'm hung up on you"

View more questions Search