Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 09:41 AM
    How do you do it?
    Do you have to have a specific degree to home school your kids? How do you get all the books and do you have to fill out any papers to let the government know that you are homeschooling your kid(s)? My baby is only 6 months, but I have already thought about it. I had a really hard time in school with bullies and sexual harassment, and I don't want her to have to go through that. Any info that you know about homeschooling would help. Please let me know.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 16, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Home schooling does not require a college degree. You can do a great deal of reseach on the topic just by using Google. I would think that your experience can not be denied but there is little reason to assume your daughter would have the same experience. Why not try public or private school and resort to home school only if/when there is a problem.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Home schooling is very state specific, and can depend on the state and what type of program you are using,

In TN for example, if you do not use a regular program, but pick your own books and don't use a program grading, you do have to have a college degree when you get into high school program, but if you use a set program you only have to have a high school dipolma.
    Also if you use or do it under the umbrella of a home school program that is acredited, there is no notification of the state required at all.
    But that various from state to state and changes yearly on the laws.

For example we use Seton for our home school, it is a Catholic School, they even have a school number when the kids graduate to use when applying to college. So as such in our state, you are just in the program, and no notification is required.

This web site, ( home legal defense fund) which is a must to belong to since local school systems often break the law trying to force you to do things not required by state law.
    But this site has state by state laws as to what is required
    Homeschool: HSLDA-Home School Legal Defense Association:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Many communities have groups of parents that have banded together to help each other with homeschooling their children. They are resources for each other. They also get together and plan educational trips. Maybe where you live, there might be such an organization of parents.

And, if you don't have them already, here are some additional links that concern homeschooling in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts Homeschooling - A to Z Home's Cool

Massachusetts Homeschooling Information - Massachusetts Homeschool Laws and Massachusetts Support Groups

http://www.masshope.org/

http://www.homeschoolinginmassachusetts.com/

Massachusetts - Jon's Homeschool Resources

Massachusetts Homeschooling Resources | TheHomeSchoolMom.com

Although the following site is not specific to Massachusetts, it is large and contains a forum for the sharing of questions and ideas.

Homeschool World: "The World's Most Visited Homeschool Site"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search