Ask
    AD1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 09:30 PM
    Diagnosing Oxygen Sensor
    Veh: 2001 Honda Accord LX Sedan
    Engine: 4-2254cc 2.3L VTEC 4cyl. F23A5
    Mi: 61,707
    Last MPG was ~25 (400 mi on 15.6 gal)

My "Check Engine" light has been on since January. When I took it to the dealer for an oil change and they told me the "code" indicated there was probably an O2 sensor problem, but to not worry about it until I needed a smog check. The paperwork from the dealer reads "S1 sensor failure." I decided to go to Auto Zone and use their OBD-II device, which gave me 2 codes (that I don't have with me) but basically said there was a non-specific emissions problem.

Today, I returned to the dealer for the "further diagnosis" they recommended, and another oil change. After 4.5 hours they told me they narrowed it down to the Primary O2 sensor that would cost $315 + a $90 diagnostic fee. Since they didn't have the part, they only charged me for the oil change until I return for the repair. Coincidentally, they checked off during their inspection that my engine air filter needed "immediate attention." I thought that was interesting because I cleaned my K&N filter last month. (I checked it when I got home and it was spotless.)

My question is: how can I be certain that this is truly the problem before I fork out over $400? I don't mind paying for a legitimate repair, but if they're saying my clean K&N needs "immediate repair," then I am skeptical as to whether they accurately diagnosed my "check engine" light. I also understand that there is a secondary O2 sensor that costs about $200 less, so I would like to be able to confirm the difference myself. Is there anyway I can check the O2 sensors more specifically?

Thanks.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Here's what I would do. Buy a Denso O.E. oxygen sensor (Denso Part No. 234-4620) from RockAuto.com for $72.79. This is the front oxygen sensor, which goes to the exhaust manifold. Usually, this is the culprit. Most Honda oxygen sensors are made by Denso and come with the Denso name on them. Then, I would follow the directions below and install it yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post223376

This is not a difficult task.

You might not agree with this, but I would not use an oil impregnated air filter on any modern-day car. Many car manufacturers explicitly recommend that you don't use them. The reason is that the oil can cause sensor failure; e.g. MAF and oxygen sensor. It's extremely rare to have an oxygen sensor fail on such a new, low mileage Honda. Therefore, I would remove the K&N and use a standard pleated paper air filter. Every study I have seen has demonstrated superior filtering by pleated paper air filters. Less is more.

The secondary oxygen sensor is the "downstream" sensor at the rear of the catalytic converter, Denso Part No. 234-4621 ($38.79).
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 04:12 PM
    One of the best problem questions I ever read on this forum, Ad1234. Thank you for giving such complete information and I only hope others will follow.
    I completely agree with the above post. Txgreasemonkey is right on the money. Take that flippin' high dollar air filter and chuck it. If you only knew what it was doing to your mass air flow sensor readings!
    buddanicholson101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AD1234
    Veh: 2001 Honda Accord LX Sedan
    Engine: 4-2254cc 2.3L VTEC 4cyl. F23A5
    Mi: 61,707
    Last MPG was ~25 (400 mi on 15.6 gal)

My "Check Engine" light has been on since January. When I took it to the dealer for an oil change and they told me the "code" indicated there was probably an O2 sensor problem, but to not worry about it until I needed a smog check. The paperwork from the dealer reads "S1 sensor failure." I decided to go to Auto Zone and use their OBD-II device, which gave me 2 codes (that I don't have with me) but basically said there was a non-specific emissions problem.

Today, I returned to the dealer for the "further diagnosis" they recommended, and another oil change. After 4.5 hours they told me they narrowed it down to the Primary O2 sensor that would cost $315 + a $90 diagnostic fee. Since they didn't have the part, they only charged me for the oil change until I return for the repair. Coincidentally, they checked off during their inspection that my engine air filter needed "immediate attention." I thought that was interesting because I cleaned my K&N filter last month. (I checked it when I got home and it was spotless.)

My question is: how can I be certain that this is truely the problem before I fork out over $400? I don't mind paying for a legitimate repair, but if they're saying my clean K&N needs "immediate repair," then I am skeptical as to whether or not they accurately diagnosed my "check engine" light. I also understand that there is a secondary O2 sensor that costs about $200 less, so I would like to be able to confirm the difference myself. Is there anyway I can check the O2 sensors more specifically?

Thanks.
    You might be able to buy the sensors @ autozone or another auto parts store and see if they are easy enough to change yourself, you'll be able to tell some time when the 02 sensors are going bad, your car might get kind of hard to start, might cut off when idling, but it will start right back up. If you replace find out how to reset your computer so the light will go off, try taking the pos battery cable off for 5min and then put it back on. If you can't buy the parts or just can't replace yourself then you might have to pay for that, but see if the dealer will give you a deal if you replace both sensors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Honda Civic Oxygen Sensor [ 14 Answers ]

Hi. Have decided to replace my Oxygen sensor, but am having a problem getting the old sensor out. (I already have the new sensor). Is very tight space. I am thinking that may be best way to break old sensor, then can put socket wrench on and remove the remaining part. Is this a good thing to do?...

Darn Oxygen Sensor Removal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. Trying to remove a Oxygen Sensor from a 95 Honda Civic. Is in a darn bad spot! Have about 6 inches max to maneuver... and cannot get darn thing loose (118,000 miles on car). Tried putting a little WD-40 type spray on end of sensor, but just cannot get any leverage, and am also afraid of...

View more questions Search