Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eggy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Invasion of privacy?
    I need to know if installing a web cam in a bar with no notification to the public that it is there constitutes an invasion of privacy?
    If so, what needs to be done to allow the bar to install said web cam?
    Thanks,
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 06:49 PM
    In Virginia, as long as there is no audio recording, there is no invasion of privacy issues or at least that was the guidance we received for security cameras. I would think webcams would be viewed under the same law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 07:02 PM
    This will vary by state to state, in many states there will have to be a notice. Also remember if others are watching and see a underage person there, guess who will have just filmed their own evidence.

I think a lot of people will not like the idea of getting drunk on the web, but then I though mood rings were a stupid idea.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2007, 07:07 PM
    This will vary from state to state. It also depends on what they are used for. If the camera is hidden and/or the images are used publicly without permission that would be a problem. However its for security purposes and its openly done, I doubt if there would be an issue.

Take it to your state Liquor authority and see what they say. Or just not go back to that bar.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 04:50 PM
    I think it's a good idea. Recently here in Chicago we had a case of an off-duty cop assaulting a female bar tender because she wouldn't serve him another drink due to his intoxicated state. It was caught on the security camera, shown on the local news (this was a 200 pound gut stomping a 110 pound gitrl) the cop is now an ex-cop, and he's in jail awaiting trial. Obviously this guy was not cut out for the "to protect & serve" crowd.

In my opinion (I'm no lawyer), anything anyone does in a public forum is fair game for being recorded.
    nanajo1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Jun 13, 2007, 08:55 PM
    The laws will depend on why the web cam is being set up. Is it for security only? As in taping underage people trying to get service. Is it because you want to set up a web site depicting how crazy people can act with a few drinks? If it is the web site you could be headed for trouble. In these cases you need you have the people who will appear on the web cam sign a declaration relaeasing their permission for you to be taping them.
    In canada the use of a web cam is illegal unless you are using it with the prior written permission of each of the people who are caught on camera. If it is too use to expose a illegal practice that you know is going on in a bar? Sorry tapes, video, etc can not be used in a court of law as evidenvce not even telephone tapes. Maybe if you were to explain why you want to use it, then I could help you better
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 13, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Is there some reasonable expectation of "privacy" in an establishment open to the public? I know they can't put cams in the bathroom stalls, but anywhere cash is being handled is fair game, isn't it? I know we had plenty of cameras in every retail store I have ever worked in and didn't have to inform the public. You say "web cam" are the images being streamed on some public website, or just viewed by security? Again, I have seen nightclubs and bars in tourist destinations with web cams but don't remember any posts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SpyLocked Malware Invasion of my O.S. [ 1 Answers ]

When using my space.com I got infected with a bogus spyware program that is counterfeit And I can't get rid of it. I used SpyHunter and it got rid of other malware but I can't shake SpyLocked out of my operating system. When I try to delete it I get a message that I can't because Windows is...

Violation of privacy [ 5 Answers ]

My landlord and I have an agreement that he will not walk people through my home. I have found out on two occasions that a realator brought people by but because I was there they could not enter. I will never give permission for someone to walk through my home with my belongings there. I work...

Alien teacher invasion [ 1 Answers ]

This movie I am looking for is in the 80's. There is a little boy involved and he sees his teacher eating a disected frog in his classroom. He also goes in a cave and sees his teacher with other people. I think the boys name is david and he is 10 years old. Thanks

Privacy [ 3 Answers ]

Renters rights in regards to landlord & real estate people going into home

Home invasion [ 1 Answers ]

A few nights ago my fiancée and I were laying in bed and all of a sudden he jumps up and asks me if I am shaking cause usually I have a habit of shaking or rocking myself to sleep but I was already asleep so I responded "no, I'm not what's wrong with you", he said "I know that I felt this bed...

View more questions Search