Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shaneshafran Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 05:18 PM
    The oil is pouring out the muffler
    Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it? It's a Craftsman ridng mower with a 14.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine its 7 years old good up keep & never had a problem with it. One day I strted it and smoke & oil started to pour out the muffler.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Never seen it, I would suspect cracked block.
    Do you have Water in Oil, Oil in Water.
    What Vehicle and Engine do you have?
    Intake/Exhaust manifold Gasket, Head Gasket.
    Plugs may tell you something, Also Compression Test.
    Although it doesn't sound good. Doesn't mean it's Shot
    Need Motor Info, Keep fingers crossed.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 15, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Your rings are probably blown. Are we talking car, tractor or what?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 06:05 PM
    It looks to me that in his question he is talking about a Craftsman riding lawnmower.

May 15, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Thanks hvac, the full explanation didn't show when I firstvread the thread. Just said oil coming from miffler. Hey, tried to apy you a compliment a few minutes ago regarding one of your answers but this darn Dell or my dial up is acting up. Kept getting an error message. Nice job.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Not a problem, I thought maybe you missed something. Thanks for the compliment!
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

May 15, 2007, 10:41 PM
    Fuel has leaked past the carburator and into crankcase causing level to rise. Probably a piece of debris in the carburetor. Change oil start and let run 5 minutes and do it again.

It will smoke like hell for a while. It is easy to assume the worst but trust me it happens all the time and people misdiagnose it all the time.

Don
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 05:45 AM
    I think question had changed, I also missed riding lawnmower.
    Tought was car, you were talking about.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 06:02 AM
    The only time I ever had oil come out of an engine, I had a generator, that one of my "ex" employees moved for me. They were a hateful bad employee, so they stored the generator upside down, it sat upside down for about 3 months till we noticed ( it was in a wrap frame so could sit that way)

When we turned it right side up, oil was coming out badly.
    A complete clean out by one of my new employee had it going good,
    But will asssume a lawn tractor would not have been stored upside down.

May 16, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Strat, you aren't imagining things, when you and I first answered there were no details. NEW's answerr is definitely a possibility but I'm staying with blown rings. Keep up the good work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Well of course this is why I never answer in power tools, my idea of a good mower is one someone else is pushing. I was actually interested in what it could be myself, I had this picture in my mind of oil just shooting out of the muffler like a water hose,
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

May 16, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Most small engines NEVER get the hours it would take to destroy a set of rings, it happens in the odd case but rarely.

Working in the power equipment industry you come across oil out the muffler on a regular basis and it is almost always a fuel mixing with oil problem.

Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pouring concrete over new basement drains [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, After taking up the concrete and relocating the plumbing in my basement bathroom, I am ready to pour new cement. I have a 2" pipe for the shower drain and a 3" for the toilet. Do I cement right up against the pipes or do I need some type of wrapper around the pipe? I sure don't want to...

Pouring Concrete Slab over Electrical [ 4 Answers ]

We are going to pour a concrete slab in a shop that currently has no floor. My husband wants to lay the electric in/under the slab instead on going overhead. Can we do this? If so, what's the best process?

Pouring concrete floor--new construction [ 2 Answers ]

To prefice my question; my wife and I began new house construction a couple of months ago on a house with a walkout basement. We've got the walls poured and the underfloor plumbing in and the sand prepped to have the concrete floor poured. It has been raining non stop and it seems as if the sand...

Question about pouring concrete [ 2 Answers ]

Just ripped up the floor of my second bath to replace all the pipes. The bath is on the first floor sitting on a concrete slab. In other words I have no basement and had to jack hammer and break up the concrete in order to replace the pipes. All pipes are roughed and the sand/dirt is back in...

Pouring Concrete [ 2 Answers ]

If I have to pour concrete over a large area (8 cubic yards) can I pour it in sections or does it have to be all at once?

View more questions Search