Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Munchazz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 04:07 PM
    What is the phyics behine a smoke alarm?
    What is the phyics behine a smoke alarm?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 15, 2007, 04:20 PM
    LED's. They look at ambient visibility. If the vis goes below a preditermined level, smoke in the room, a switch closes, and you here about it. I've had mine go of whie I was cooking. That's embarrassing...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 11:34 PM
    The method that CaptainRich mentionned is actually just one of the ways that detectors work. There are 2 other ways. I should mention that Infra-Red LED's are used, not visible light. (I'm not sure what you mean by "ambient visibility", Capt.)
    Smoke scatters this light, which then causes a decrease in signal.

The detector can also work by putting the sensor to one side, and detecting and INCREASE in the scattered light.

The third way it can work is by using a long-half-life alpha radiation source. The alpha particles are attenuated by the smoke. This causes a decrease in the ionization and so signal goes down.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoke Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

We have a smoke alarm direct wired into the house. It continues to chirp periodically. What causes this and how can we make it stop? Its wired not battery operated so its not a dead battery. Thanks, Eric

Fire Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About 3 days ago, a new fire alarm was installed in my condo unit. In the process, the technician turned off the breaker for the central AC unit. Yesterday I decided to turn on my air conditioner (the breaker was still off). I noticed that the guy turned off the breaker while the AC was...

Removing hard wired smoke alarm [ 2 Answers ]

Mcsteph here again. I wish to remove a hard wired smoke detector but cannot find the fuse that switches it off. Is there a fuse or is it always on? Either way, how do I remove it without smelling like burnt pork? TKRussell? anyone?:confused:

Phyics Experiment [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am a High school student and working on a Rocket shoot experiment. The objective of this experiment is to hit someone with a a rocket using specifications that each student has. The main part of this experiment is to calculate the horizontal distance from the rocket to where the person has to...

View more questions Search