Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bens0nn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2005, 04:48 PM
    Hard Drive Data Recovery Freezing
    Hello all,
    I have had an unfortunate incident. I woke up Sunday morning to find my main workstation PC with a blank screens and a cursor on the upper left. Fun.

From the blue screen it appears that the boot sector somehow decided to go bad. I'll spare you all the details of the 12 hours I have spent already trying to get the PC to work, at this point I have taken the C drive and attached it as a slave in another PC.

While the drive is recognized and able to be browsed in the second PC, the data does not show up. So, I have moved on to installing demo versions of various recovery software. R-Studio, Recover My Files, Phoenix NTFS, and some other one.

To make my life even more exciting they all freeze the whole PC towards the beginning of their scan process.

So that said, any suggestions for me? :) Thanks in advance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2005, 05:24 AM
    Junk the drive and replace it. Then restore from your backups.

What? You didn't have backups? Well then, you have learned a valuable lesson the hard way. If you have any data you need to preserve you need to have a comprehensive backup routine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dead Hard Drive: Data Recovery Questions [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 that is less than a year old. Last week I got the error "Unmountable Boot Volume" and after calling Dell tech support I was told my hard drive was dead. A Dell tech came and put a new hard drive in my computer Monday and left the old hard drive with me so I could...

Data Recovery [ 5 Answers ]

I have a hard drive that crashed, I want to recover files, so a put it on a PC as a slave and able to see the files.the trouble that I'm having is some of the file that I want to access will not let me access them.how do I access these files?

Hard Drive problem - crashed and trying to recover data [ 10 Answers ]

G'day All, I'm having a hard drive problem. My hard drive crashed I've bought a new one have loaded up windows xp pro tried connected my old drive (making a clunking noise) as a slave drive and my computer just hangs at the XP pro openning window and does not advance. If I disconnect the slave win...

Harddisk data recovery [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a hard drive that will not boot into windows anymore but I need some files from it, every diagnostic tool I use says the disk is OK to use, but every piece of software I have tried will only find deleted files and the files I want were never deleted I just can't can't get to them....

Data Recovery/Go Back ? [ 7 Answers ]

I made the mistake of trusting a program called Go Back which came with the Norton Suite. Had it told me it was compressing my drive, I would've stopped it... but it's too late for that.. the drive is having major problems now, it hasn't been bootable for some time, but any partitioning/formatting...

View more questions Search