Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Apr 25, 2005, 02:49 PM
    Installing Windows xp
    If someone installed xp that belongs to someone else could they still get updates?
    Should it be registered in the owner's name? How should that be handled?
    Is it OK to register it twice under one name? Will it still work?
    Thanks.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 25, 2005, 03:06 PM
    As long as it's a correct licence key and not one of the boot legged ones, getting updates should be fine, but DON'T try and reg it with Micro$oft again as it won't work.

With regards to updates, best thing to do is see if it will work.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 26, 2005, 10:44 AM
    Windows XP
    XP recognises your PC configeration,so when you activate it,either via the web or via phone,Microsoft will 'ping' you a code that tells your software to work.Once logged onto the servers at Redmond,your details are stored,so if a friend asked you for your XP disc and placed it onto a new formated hard drive on their PC,it would install,unless it was a recovery disc,as the driver files are unique to your PC,but activation would fail.If your system goes down the tubes in the future,and you have to format your hard drive(s),you will need to speak to a Microsoft rep to activate your system again.If your details don't match those stored with them,any amount of jumping up and down won't help.Stay legal at all times.

Nez. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing Windows XP from MS-DOS... [ 9 Answers ]

Im trying to install XP, this PC is totally DOS no any windows installed so no shortcut installation to make... Here: Everything are all set partition and HD formated... A:\>smartdrv (enter) A:\>e: (enter) E:\>cd I386 (enter) E:\I386>winnt (enter) Then when the windows files is...

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Installing retro fit windows [ 4 Answers ]

I installed our first window.Every thing went OK,it took a while but it was our first one.We will be installing more but first I need to do the trim around this first one first. Does anyone have any tips? I did not realize how bowed out the sides of the window hole is on the interior side until I...

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error when installing windows xp [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am Pradeep. I have a celeron 1.1 with mercury MB. I was running windowsxp for the past 6 months. Recently when I tried to re-install using bootable windowsxp cd the setup stopped saying that the : UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME with error code: STOP: 0X000000ED(0X812FBA5B, 0XC0000010,...

View more questions Search