Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reweb Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2005, 02:05 PM
    Ready to pour concrete! + Toilet Flange
    Hello,

I am ready to pour concrete and patch the cut I made in my garage slab to add a new toilet. I have a few questions first and would appreciate some help.

I am using 3 inch ABS with the type of flange that glues into the pipe.

1) The top of the flange goes flush with the concrete? Eventually I will be adding tile but the toilet will go on without it for now (no money for tile!)

2) Do I pour the concrete right up to the pipe or do I wrap the pipe with cardboard or something?

3) Do I need to bolt the flange down to the concrete? If so, should I add bolts and then wetset them in the concrete?

Any other tips? It needs to be done right the first time I'm guessing!

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 25, 2005, 04:38 PM
    Ready to pour concrete! + Toilet Flange
    Quote Originally Posted by reweb
    Hello,

I am ready to pour concrete and patch the cut I made in my garage slab to add a new toilet. I have a few questions first and would appreciate some help.

I am using 3 inch ABS with the type of flange that glues into the pipe.

1) The top of the flange goes flush with the concrete? Eventually I will be adding tile but the toilet will go on without it for now (no money for tile!)

2) Do I pour the concrete right up to the pipe or do I wrap the pipe with cardboard or something?

3) Do I need to bolt the flange down to the concrete? If so, should I add bolts and then wetset them in the concrete?

Any other tips? It needs to be done right the first time I'm guessing!

Thanks!

You have options. You may set tiles around the flange to raise it up to
    The correct elevation and set the bowl up on a few tiles to have the right elevation all around **or** You can set the flange and toilet on the cement floor and when you tile use a double wax seal with a funnel when you set the toilet.

If you plan on using a outside flange purchase a styrofoam closet wrapper and wrap the stub up before you pour the floor.
    You shouldn't have to tie the flange down the soil and cement pour should keep it secure, but if you need to tie it down you may use cement screws, (Tapcons) to do it.
    4) Any other tips? It needs to be done right the first time I'm guessing!
    Keep the middle of the slots centered. There won't be any room toadjust after the glue sets up.
    If any more questions come up feel free to ask. Regards, Tom
    reweb Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2005, 04:45 PM
    Thanks Tom! I'm using a flange that glues and fits inside the 3" pipe. So I can pour right up to it?

Also, there is what looks like to possible ways to line up the flange to accept toilet bolts later. One has larger holes (longer grove) than the other. Do you know what is best to use?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 25, 2005, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by reweb
    Thanks Tom! I'm using a flange that glues and fits inside the 3" pipe. So I can pour right up to it?

Also, there is what looks like to possible ways to line up the flange to accept toilet bolts later. One has larger holes (longer grove) than the other. Do you know what is best to use?
    The longer slots give you more room to adjust. Good luck Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange on concrete [ 3 Answers ]

I saw this addressed in another thread, but my question has a twist. When my house was built (bi-level) the lower level was unfinished but I had them rough in plumbing for a 3rd bathroom. I have completed the other rooms, and am now ready to tackle the bathroom. The supply lines are fine, the...

Moving toilet stack under concrete [ 1 Answers ]

We have already cracked our concrete and now have access to the toilet stack to re-route to the location we want. The issue is the sewer pipe is covered with ground water. We've tried draining the water but it keeps coming back. This isn't surprising given the grade of our house. We're wondering...

Procedure Request for Cutting Concrete to Add Flange? [ 12 Answers ]

My basement rough-in left us with a 3 inch PVC stub with glued on cap sticking right out of the concrete. I would like to remove enough concrete from around the pipe to add an offset closet flange. Can anyone walk me through the procedure/exact tools needed for this? (the house is 7 months old......

Procedure Request for Cutting Concrete to Add Flange? [ 2 Answers ]

My basement rough-in left us with a 3 inch PVC stub with glued on cap sticking right out of the concrete. I would like to remove enough concrete from around the pipe to add an offset closet flange. Can anyone walk me through the procedure/exact tools needed for this? (the house is 7 months old......

Iron flange in concrete no holes to work with [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem, trying to install a new toilet; when we removed the toilet we notice a iron flange (or pipe coming up in concrete) with a rim and no holes to put the new flange on. This item coming up through the floor remind you of a upside down top hat. How do we install bolts for the toilet...

View more questions Search