Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Renoboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Dishwasher Air gap
    Every time my dishwaher drains, water comes out of the air gap.
    I know that it should drain into the garbage disposal.
    How do I unclog the lines.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Disconnct the drain line from the garbage disposal and take a look. I know of one case where the knock-out on the disposal had never been removed, so the dishwasher could only empty via the air gap! You may also be able to see a clog if there's one there.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 16, 2007, 10:08 AM
    If the dishwasher has been draining Ok in the past it's a pretty safe bet the knock-out plug in the disposal is not still in there, Do what does that leave?
    We know you're getting water up to the air gap but not past it.
    Remove the hose from the downstream side of the air gap and determine that it's clear from the air gap to the disposal. All clear? Good!
    That puts the blockage in the discharge side of the air gap. Take a stiff wire and clean out the passage in the air gap. Test by cycling the dishwasher.
    This is a prime reason that we do not use counter top air gaps in the Tampa Bay Area. We loop the hose up as high as it will go in the cabinet and secure it with a pipe strap. The loop on top is the air gap. In all the years we have installed our dishwashers we have never had a service call on a flood from a dishwasher with this type of air gap. (Growler! Are you listening?) Regards, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    In all the years we have installed our dishwashers we have never had a service call on a flood from a dishwasher with this type of air gap. (Growler! Are ya listening?) Regards, Tom
    Y'know, Tom, you make it sound like I have a choice in the matter.

For what, the 25th time already?

My local Plumbing Code requires the installation of an air gap on all dishwashers.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    Y'know, Tom, you make it sound like I have a choice in the matter.

For what, the 25th time already?

My local Plumbing Code requires the installation of an air gap on all dishwashers.
    I know that. I just like to yank yo chain! Peace Brother! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher air gap overflowing [ 5 Answers ]

The air gap for our dishwasher has been overflowing since we bought the house 20 years ago. It was an annoying problem but not serious. I tried to fix this problem several times. I replaced the hose, I replaced the air gap NO JOY. The air gap discharges into the garbage disposal. The disposal seems...

Air Gap, yes or no? [ 4 Answers ]

My name is Sherrie McIntyre and I live in Washington State. I have a home that was built in 1952. I am replacing the drain pipes under my sink after removing a non-working, non-repairable dishwasher. It was an under the sink model and we will not be replacing it at this time. I discovered that...

Dishwasher air gap Huntington Beach California [ 11 Answers ]

Is the installation of a dish washer air gap above the counter a code requirement in Huntington Beach California? I would like to eliminate as many above counter items as possible in my new kitchen installation with granite countertops and undermount stainless steel double sink. Can the...

No Dishwasher air gap on new sink [ 1 Answers ]

Thought installing a new sink would be a relatively simple job. As I look to get started, the new sink did not come with the hole and equipment for the dishwasher drain. I think its called the air gap. Question, can I bypass the airgap and connect the hose directly from the dishwasher to the...

Air Gap is overflowing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All I have a very baffling situation. We changed our countertop, now the air-gap is overflowing for the first few seconds every time the dishwasher empties and makes a mess on the counter top, then continues to drain normally. Here is the setup. THREE separate drains under the sink, each...

View more questions Search