Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Everything backs up in shower
    I need help everything is backing up into my shower, from the laundry room to the kitchen. This happened once before and we just used some good liquid draino and it took 2 days to clear, now its been a week and its frustrating, we have to shower elsewhere, anyway, we rented a snake and tried to snake it through the shower except the way the drain curves makes it very difficult for the snake to go through. Do we have to snake through the vent on the roof in order to clear this drain?
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

May 16, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Hi Tigers, The following is borrowed from my web site plumbinglessons.com
    There are exceptions, but when your drains are all backing up with water it means your main sewer pipe is clogged and water is still entering but not able to go in the intended direction.
    In my experience 90% of the time your mainline will back up due to a nonworking clean out next to the street curb.
    To properly clean out the main sewer drain you need to have a 3" to 4" cleanout that is readily available. If you don't know where it is, it's probably because it is buried underground like the one pictured above. The best way to deal with it is to have the Plumber locate it with a camera and a location device. After the location is made it's a matter of digging it up and replacing it. Short of that you will most likely come up short. I have heard night mares about Plumbers taking days to find the sewer pipe after digging up 90% of the front and back yards. A sewer camera will reveal what you need to see, and a locating device will pinpoint where it is and how deep it is. Is it a big job? Yes. Is it the best way to go? Bar none. Can you get by without doing it that way? Not unless you want the drains to backup again. Is it guaranteed that once the corrections have been made I will never have a problem again? Pretty much. But it is guaranteed that cleaning roots out of the drain lines only trims them back so they can grow back even thicker the next time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement shower drain backs up when it rains heavy [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever it rains heavy the basement shower drain backs up with clean water and also the toilet rises and bubbles. Where is the water coming as I'm not flushing or running any water in the house. Please help! Thank you.

Toilet backs up into bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet water/feces comes up into my bathtub w/o warning. This has happened ever since I bought my house a few years back. I was previously told that this was due to roots from a large tree in my front yard and I had put some kind of root killing chemical into my toilet, which seemed to work for...

Toilet backs up [ 3 Answers ]

I live in single story house and I have 2 toilets. Yesterday my wife flushed her toilet in her room and the water barley came back up. So she flushed again and it started to overflow in both toilets. Then the main bathroom toilet only has a problem. If you flush both toilets only the main toilet...

Dirty water backs up in shower [ 1 Answers ]

Every now and then dirty, black water backs up from my shower drain and sits still for a few hours and then drains back out, the toilet in the same bathroom also sometimes has no water in the bowl. Yesterday the sink in my other bathroom was clogged and I tried Drano but the water did not even...

Washer backs up [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, First let me say that I am a complete novice to plumbing, I have just bought my first house and am trying to save money by fixing as many things myself that I can. My problem is that anytime the washer drains it overflows the drain pipe, even just running a garden hose in the pipe...

View more questions Search