Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smk17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Reusing a 5 year old pool liner
    We just bought a 27' round above ground pool that is five years old. We are wondering what the story is on just using the liner that was in it? Of course they had to drain it so we could disassmble it. And I "heard" that once you drain it, you can not use that old liner, but why not?

I'm 90% sure this should be avoided but I figured I'd just ask first. Some people I've
    Asked say no, that it'll stretch and dry out and possibly break when
    Putting water back in. Others say it's fine, "Hell yeah, my sister-in-
    law's second cousin's half-brother did it and it worked great!"

But I want to hear from people who may really know the answer.

I did call one pool shop and he said no, not to reuse it. But then I
    Wondered maybe he just wants me to buy a new $300 liner...

Thanks
    Cynical in NY
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 01:05 PM
    I would not reuse this liner - it is five years old and you do not know the exact condition of it. Was it stored properly? Does it have mold? How do you know that there are no slits or cracks in it?

You could always take it out and examine it, perhaps clean it and use some bleach. If you do that, have a contingency plan for the just in case this liner leaks. That would be my biggest concern. But it does not cost you anything to try it. Myself, I would not bother with trying it, I would just go and purchase a new one that has a warranty.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Well it's a plastic or rubber base so it probably has to do with the surface drying out and cracking easier after it has been stored, esp in dryer climates.
    summer12 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 05:35 PM
    We just bought a pool that was originally purchased in June of 2001. We thought we'd try and save a few bucks by reusing the liner. What a mistake! It began leaking about a week after we filled it. We are going to buy a new liner this weekend and start over. All of the "experts" I have talked to advise against reusing a liner. I would now agree several hundred dollars later.
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jun 27, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Spend the money and enjoy your weekend. 5 years is too old to try this swap unless you have low expectations and have stored the liner in soapy water with algicide since you drained the pool.

Most commonly when a liner is old and is allowed to dry out it will shatter and break like glass sending splinters flying everywhere. A dry liner is not at all what you would expect. The chemical composition of the material has changed and it loses its elasticity which it needs to not break.

A liner swap can be done but the liner should be no more than one season old or two at the maximum. Even still, for the effort it takes, buy the new liner and enjoy your pool.

I hope this information is helpful.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools
    xrazmike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 01:07 PM
    More bad news:
    I re-used a 2 year old liner. Found out later that, once drained, vinyl shrinks and loses its elasticity and ability to re-expand.
    I put in in, filled it up, swam in it. It looked great. NO leaks. However, the next day, the vertical supports started to buckle as well as a section of the 24' round sheet metal wall. The liner actually PULLED the frame in.
    Don't do it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 06:46 PM

The first guy who said it was dried out and would crack was correct. BTW it was his cousin-in-laws first wife's brother

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In round pool liner beading and coping [ 1 Answers ]

I uncovered my in ground pool to find the liner beading has come away from the pool wall groove in several spots around the pool. Is there a way to repair this ? Thanks

Water behind inground pool liner [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, About 2 and 1/2 years ago we had a new inground vinyl pool liner professionally installed. Ever since then, when we go to open the pool in the spring--we find the liner bubbled up & out in most of the low end of the pool and on the sides of the deep end. We have to take a part of the liner...

Pool, spitters or over pool jets of water [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where to find the spitters that send streams of water over the pool. Thanks, Judy

Reusing tiles [ 7 Answers ]

Had to remove the bottom half of a tiled shower, The tiles came off (too) easy with very little residue on the back. I'd like to reuse them since they are all cut to fit already. Is this OK? How well do they have to be cleaned and what would be the method ? I'm not attempting to reuse the floor...

View more questions Search