Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Process Coordinator Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2005, 12:11 PM
    Title: Last Day of Summer - 1984
    This was a British Movie that seemed to make quite a splash in '84. Someone asked me about it last week and I can't find anything on it except that Graham McGrath played the main character. Anyone have a synopsis on the movie? Also, is it available anywhere?
    ZRoHeRo Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2005, 04:16 AM
    Last Day Of Summer
    Year made: 1983
    Duration: 55 minutes.
    Print: Colour

Adapted by Ian McEwan from one of his own stories, this is a film of moods, overheard indistinct voices, slowed hypnotic time, and particularly a troubling sense of false security and impending tragedy. In a pot-addled Thames-side commune, Tom, a 12-year-old orphan (Graham McGrath), is befriended by Jenny, a cheerful, overweight ex-teacher (Annette Badland, excellent), who derives a passive contentment from attending to his conventional needs (Tom likes to go to school in uniform). Their affecting idyll is played out chiefly in Tom's rowing boat on the deceptively passive river at the end of a very filmic English summer.

It is available on DVD

Apr 26, 2005, 05:40 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response. That is the film we were interested. However, I've had no luck finding it on DVD. I'll keep looking though. Thanks again.

May 3, 2005, 07:25 AM
    ZroHero -- Where did you locate the DVD?
    I've exhaustively searched the "net" and can't locate any DVD or VHS copies of this movie. You indicated in your reply that it was available on DVD. Where should I go to find it?
    Thanks, PRC

May 4, 2005, 09:15 AM
    Sorry
    Sorry... but the site where I found the information for you just said that there was a DVD available. It didn't say where. Good Luck. :(

May 4, 2005, 10:41 AM
    Thanks -- I'll keep looking
    Again - it appears that if it is out there, it will be an auction site like Ebay.

Thanks,
    PRC
    timtoes2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2005, 11:44 AM
    I have this film on video
    I have an old copy of this film on video. I taped it off the TV when it was first aired. I haven't watched it in many years but I remember that it was very good. I am going to go through my tapes and find it and hope that it is still in watchable condition. I'll let you know. :o

Jun 4, 2005, 03:37 PM
    Last Day Of Summer
    COOL :cool:
    timtoes2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2005, 07:37 AM
    I dug the video out today and it is still watchable although it is a very old tape and showing signs of it's age. The film was as I remembered it - very atmospheric. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forensic Summer Camps! [ 1 Answers ]

This isn't really a question, but more of something that I thought everyone would be interested in, since this is a Forensic Science forum. I found these two great Summer Camps for Forensics for high school students, and I thought this would be the perfect place to share them with you! Union...

How a schoolgirl can earn during summer [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all. Perhaps anybody can give an advice to my 16-years sister... How can she earn some money at this summer in Toronto (Canada)? What way will be connected with lots of communication, rest and will be not ordinary?

1984 Mercury Outboard 4 Cylinder 50HP problem [ 0 Answers ]

Ok,the motor idles good but when you try to get to full throttle the boat is hard to come out of the water and will not plane off like it used to. It seems like it will not hit full rpm's. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

View more questions Search