Ask
    wilantphy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Ex-con looking for a job
    Im a ex-con and I want to know is there a company that hire ex-con
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Sure there are companies that will hire someone who has done time. Although, it will depend on what crime the sentence was for. Someone convicted of a crime involving money, for instance, probably isn't going to be hired in a job requiring the handling of other people's money.

Job service/placement offices can be very helpful in placing people into jobs. Also, there are placement services, such as the Safer Foundation, that specifically work to find jobs for people convicted of felonies.

Just because someone has done time, doesn't mean that there is no place that will hire that person.

It also depends on what skills that you have.

It would help in answering your question to know what skills you have and/or what things you would like to do.

Also, if you are under some kind of supervised release then the officer who is supervising you should be able to give you some idea of the jobs where you can work.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 12:03 PM
    The following is good information from WikiAnswers - How does a person with a felony find a job after he ...

Where you're at: If you?re still under a supervised release program, then following the direction and assistance given by a parole officer is most prudent. At this stage, your primary goal is to complete your probation or parole, after which you may begin your new life. If you absolutely need cash, and can?t market your previous skills, then strongly consider a temp agency that will hire you out, and pay you, on a daily basis as a manual laborer.

If you're already past the supervised release stage, then it?s time to rebuild.

Where you're not: Although it's disheartening, you can make a list of jobs you can't have? Pretty much without exception, you can exclude anything and everything that involves firearms, and explosives. Bonded positions, highly regulated and licensed positions, and most government jobs are off the prospective list as well. Positions working around minors are probably out too.

Where you can go: You will most likely find your new career home in a small to very small company, where you will work closely with the owner. Most small companies struggle to survive, and rely heavily on each employee they have. You will probably be working with or near the owner, because they are down working in the "trenches" to keep their company afloat on a daily basis.

Where you can't go: Most medium to large companies don?t want to be involved with any real or perceived liability in hiring you. Realistically, you and your resume/job application probably won't get past the "gate-keepers" in the Human Resources Department. If this is the route you really want to pursue, than plan on adding a lot of positive factors to your resume between the time of your conviction and the time you apply.

What you can do: Unskilled and semi-skilled labor positions are high on a convict?s new job list, as most employers need to keep these ?revolving door? Type jobs filled. Residential construction labor is a good "starter" job. You can build your skill level, increase your wages, and maybe find a long-term ?home? With a contractor.

Assume you will have to discuss your conviction, and that a background investigation will be done. Employers want to know that you have "moved-on" from your experience. A simple statement is all that's needed. "I was convicted of -xxx- , and have fulfilled my obligations to the Court/Society/etc. I know that crime is wrong, and I also know that I have to try harder, and be better than the average person. I am ready to do this." (Don't go into a tirade about how life has done you wrong, or that you're a victim etc. The above statement is clear, concise, and should be accurate.)

What else can you do: You will now need to prove that you are in fact trying harder.

Academic advancement is a must: If you need a GED, get one. Enroll in Community College classes (education) and courses (skills). If you have a skill or specific education, consider teaching Adult Education classes. Use counselors to help develop a new career path.

Volunteer for Community Service. It looks good on a resume, it puts you in a networking position, it exposes you to potential employers, it keeps you away from an unsavory crowd, and it should make you feel better about yourself. Two full days (or the equivalent) per month is the norm. Use peer support to explore new career options.

Consider church. It has the same exposure as Volunteering, and can be a source of support for some. Use church leaders for career guidance and support.

Try to expunge your conviction, or apply for a Certificate of Rehabilitation (or the equivalent.) All felony convictions can be made to "go away"; Some are just harder than others (such as Federal convictions requiring a Pardon or Clemency, or Registrant Crimes which may require continued registration.)

Prevent future convictions. This is a "no-brainer", but still needs to be said.

You have been given (a sort of) second chance. You have fairly permanent "legal" handicap. Try to earn what you need to live comfortably, but look for success outside of monetary achievement. This is all I can offer. Good luck, and keep-on- keepin'-on.
    wedeserve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 03:15 AM

Hello, my name is Jaime Woodard. I am the founder of a website called WE DESERVE OUR LIVES BACK.com. The site was built to promote the passing of bills and to seek laws that help non-violent, ex-offenders. H.R. 1529 is a bill that would allow first-time, non-violent, ex-federal and state offenders to petition the court for an expungement. Currently, the United States Federal Government does not have an expungement program for any ex-federal offenders.

Supporters who want to sign the petition or view comments for H.R. 1529 can visit
    We Deserve Our Lives Back and click on the tab, Petition for H.R.1529. Listen to episode #1 of fantastic felon podcast on I-tunes with myself and Pete Cossaboon. Individuals who sign the petition may have their name and comments read on the fantastic felon podcast. Our community can e-mail the show [email protected]

We need to help get the bill, H.R. 1529 The bill is sponsored by Congressman Charles B. Rangel (NY Democrat). He introduced H.R. 1529 to the house in July 2007. Mr. Rangel of NY finally heard the cries of our community who deserve their lives back. H.R. 1529 can be viewed in it's entirety at opencongress.org type H.R. 1529 in the blank box in the top right hand corner. Washingtonwatch.com list comments and stories of how the bill can be very beneficial to the lives of many.

Gainful employment is a stepping stone to a life long commitment to be productive again in society. We deserve careers and a second chance at an untarnished re-entry to the employment environment. I'm not making an excuse for what I did but we deserve a second chance.

H.R. 1529 can be viewed in its entirety at opencongress.org, type in H.R. 1529 and click on view bill. If anyone out there knows any first-time, non-violent, ex-federal offenders please get in touch with me. I can be contacted at 201-966-1251 or [email protected]. You can also post a comment on change.org Change.org
    Under the title second chance for non-violent offenders- founder Thomas Kinney .

Posted 7/5/09

Our community needs to be aware that H.R. 1529 may die in committee again. The bill has no-cosponsors. Previously when the bill was H.R 623 it had 17 co-sponsors. I went to visit the office of Mr.Rangel several times to asks why no one is lobbying to get H.R 1529 passed and if the congressman wrote a dear colleague letter to gain support for H.R.1529. The "Dear Colleague Letter" has not been written to Garner for support and as my friend Thomas Kinney has stated, "while 1529 may be near and dear to our hearts it has never made it to the floor of the house for discussion much less a vote". We have decided to take control of getting the bill passed. I need our community to spread the word about H.R. 1529.
    We need everyone to use all their media contacts and stress how imporatnt the passing of this bill will be. H.R. 1529 will not cost tax-payers anything it also help thousands of people free themselves from public assistance. H.R. 1529 would eliminate recidivism, currently there are no bills, laws, programs or correctional facilities that reduce recidivism. Each is designed to promote ex-offenders going back to correctional facilities within 12 months. This is a struggle and our community of non-violent, ex-offenders can not give up.

Thank you
    Jaime Woodard
    ejv5a Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
    I'm the President of a small start-up in Silicon Valley, and I would like to try to hire someone who is interested in technical/administrative/desk work. I'm asking because I want to give someone a second-chance, and I'm not looking for tax-breaks... I really don't care about that. I want to hire someone who is responsible and has an education and who doesn't bring baggage, like a violent past, drug-use, etc. This is a real opportunity. How do I go about hiring a former convict and give a second chance?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A song from the movie Con Air [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking for a song in the movie Con Air. The song is being played in the scene where a man falls from a plane & lands on some old people's car (I think). It is an old song & I totally love it. Please help me.

Help finding a Con Artist [ 9 Answers ]

I hired a man to install a central air and heating system who had his own business, he was recommended by someone that I though was a "friend". It was a big job totaling about $5,000. He wanted half down, then two $1,250 payments as the work was being done. I agreed, paid 2,500, he showed and...

How to find a job in Michigan when you are a ex-con [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. I have a friend that just got out of prison after serving a ten year Federal Prison term. He's currently in the halfway house and soon will be released to home confinement. I've been searching high and low to help him find employment. The only thing that we landed is McDonalds and...

Is it just a con? [ 5 Answers ]

We've been living together for 6yrs. Quite often NOT for the last 2. This last fight was really bad on his part. I kicked him out again. 2wks later he says he bought me a new car as a wedding gift. Then he tells me I'm not on the insurance. Then he admits he bought it for establishing HIS credit...

Air con water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this forum and I hope you guys can help with my question. I'm by no means an expert on air cons & I work in the hospitality industry but here goes. I have a problem with a unit which is located on the 5fh floor of a hotel, this is a water cooled unit and is fed from chillers...

View more questions Search